North Bank Bridge Pedestrian Walkway

Underg -- With freedom to act comes the requirement to take responsibility for the action and its impact on other individuals and their property -- including public property

Unfortunately, we know from common experience that skateboarders, typically of the teenage male category will skate on any surface which is not vertical -- in a sense they act as the human equivalent of pigeons

So basically, yes, you want Nanny State restrictions on something you don't do because "common experience" tells you it MUST be harmful. Thanks for clarifying.

Attn: Moderator,
Please rename thread "Old Men Yell at Clouds, Tell Punk Kids to Get Off Lawn." The current title is misleading.

Not enough Simpsons references in this thread.

Groundskeeper_Willie.gif

Hi! I'm a board lurker/avid skateboarder that is watching this thread for content actually relevant to the subject: when will this bridge be open so I can start trashing it? If anyone actually has an update on this project, that would be more useful than the current conversation.

There's a simple solution to the skateboarding menace.

898211_1323450464633_full.jpg

Or we could, you know, just leave people the hell alone unless intervention is actually necessary.

That's ridiculous. It should be open May 1st at latest.

PS: Graffiti on the cement "base" on the North Point side already.

Was there yesterday. The Charlestown side still has a couple weeks of work left. Lampposts are installed and pathways paved, but they need to still repave the road leading into the new park areas. Also some final touches near the base of the bridge (garden spaces, etc.) still need to be filled in.

Open "by June" was the last, best estimate of opening. Is it now looking more like June 1st, June 15th, June 25th, or the dreaded June 45th?

Well, here's what the gate looks like now on the Cambridge side:

B2W86.jpg

And I saw several people walking on it from the other side, but I'm not sure if you're supposed to or not...

Well, I know what I'm doing next time I'm there if it's not "open".

Contacted Charles River Conservancy about an opening date. Here's the reply:

I just recently heard end of June/beginning of July. They're going to have an opening ceremony, with the date TBD. Looks like things are still on track to open this summer!

The bridge is easily walkable from both sides now, but it would be hard to get a bike around the gate on the Cambridge side. Also, the expansion joints aren't finished, which is a good reason not to let people bike there yet.

Bridge looks and feels entirely finished today, but they are still doing landscaping work on the Charlestown side. I biked over it, but then had to open a gate at the Cambridge end to get out.

Bridge looks and feels entirely finished today, but they are still doing landscaping work on the Charlestown side. I biked over it, but then had to open a gate at the Cambridge end to get out.

Ron -- that sounds great -- the next time that I'm at the MOS -- I'm heading for North Station on-foot via the bridge

Note the somewhat similar bridge crossing Mem Dr. adjacent to Micro Center is in a similar state of completion {i.e. still surrounded by construction fencing but seemingly walkable} -- I wonder if the construction on the two are some how correlated

It looks like they've got a temp fence (8' tall?) just across the Charlestown landing (where the bridge and its side-rails end and meet the earthen embankment).

I wouldn't be surprised if they plan to put some kind of railing along the earthen embankment --it looks fairly steep-sided.

[EDIT] And you sure get a great view of the whole thing when riding the Green Line across the Viaduct from Lechemere to Science Park.[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Here's an instagram of the bridge that I snapped today. Can you count the number of bridges in this picture?

http://instagr.am/p/MO1NyMoNJA/

DSH -- this is a place where you can (if you wait long enough -- as I have done it a couple of times) take a single picture with:

1) airplane apporaching Logan over
2) cars driving on Levret Circle Ramp over
3) trains crossing to North Station over
4) boats on Charles

Now we can snake into it people or bikes on the new bridge

Back