One Greenway (Parcel 24) | 0 Kneeland Street | Chinatown

Next door. The South Bay tower would have taken down that steam power factory thingy.

I'll admit, I like the steam plant. As far as infrastructure goes I think it looks pretty cool, a monument to the cities industrial past. Of course I'd rather have the South Bay tower but I'll still miss that thing if/when it goes.

As for Greenway One, I'm excited for this project. I really want to see how a non-luxury high rise residential building goes. On Boston Public Radio's "ask the mayor", Walsh specifically mentioned that we need much more of this kind of 20-30 story "workforce housing", other wise we are going to run out of land. It's just a question of paying for it. I felt that to be an encouraging sign and if this project goes well perhaps it will open the door to more. I have a much better feeling about the new mayor with regards to development than Mumbles.

I'll admit, I like the steam plant. As far as infrastructure goes I think it looks pretty cool, a monument to the cities industrial past. Of course I'd rather have the South Bay tower but I'll still miss that thing if/when it goes.

As for Greenway One, I'm excited for this project. I really want to see how a non-luxury high rise residential building goes. On Boston Public Radio's "ask the mayor", Walsh specifically mentioned that we need much more of this kind of 20-30 story "workforce housing", other wise we are going to run out of land. It's just a question of paying for it. I felt that to be an encouraging sign and if this project goes well perhaps it will open the door to more. I have a much better feeling about the new mayor with regards to development than Mumbles.

Pix -- this is the kind of project -- or perhaps slightly smaller-scale that could be scattered around all the peripheral T stops within Boston

2 or 3 to a T stop at places such as Andrew, Green St., etc.

later they could spread out into some of the near-in CR cities such as Waltham

The makings of a new set of "Streetcar" Suburbs

Yrcl67K.jpg

Beeline, thanks again for the pix, and for the accompanying captions.

This will add to the Chinatown skyline very well when finished. (Sorry for the crappy quality, I used an iPad mini.)
1909421_692016900842196_346417557_o.jpg

like how those concrete cores are rising so fast all over the city

Last edited:
May be a dumb questions, but why, all of a sudden I seem to see these concrete cores as the basis for so many new buildings? Are they a result of the 9-11 tragedy. It seems that tall buildings used to go up without them for decades, and now...they're everywhere. I bow the experts here!

May be a dumb questions, but why, all of a sudden I seem to see these concrete cores as the basis for so many new buildings? Are they a result of the 9-11 tragedy. It seems that tall buildings used to go up without them for decades, and now...they're everywhere. I bow the experts here!

Egress stairs in high rise buildings must be in a fire-rated enclosure:

IBC 2009 - Chapter 10 - Means of Egress said:
SECTION 1022 EXIT ENCLOSURES

1022.1 Enclosures required. Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps shall be enclosed with fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 707 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 712, or both. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours where connecting four stories or more and not less than 1 hour where connecting less than four stories. The number of stories connected by the exit enclosure shall include any basements but not any mezzanines. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating not less than the floor assembly penetrated, but need not exceed 2 hours. Exit enclosures shall lead directly to the exterior of the building or shall be extended to the exterior of the building with an exit passageway conforming to the requirements of Section 1023, except as permitted in Section 1027.1. An exit enclosure shall not be used for any purpose other than means of egress.

http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/icod/ibc/2009/icod_ibc_2009_10_sec022.htm
Concrete easily satisfies this requirement.

The concrete cores also act as natural sheer walls and eliminate the need for a considerable amount of diagonal bracing (K or X) - note that diagonal bracing or other shear walls could still be required elsewhere, just not as much. It is technically called a "shear core." This link breaks down the concept of shear walls really nicely: http://theconstructor.org/structural-engg/shear-walls-structural-forms-positioning/6235/

Last edited:
cool to look at they sort of give u a preview of where they will stand and how high it will reach

padre, they changed the building codes after 9/11.

Elevators are required in high-rise buildings more than 120 feet tall so firefighters can get to, and fight fires, without walking up from the ground floor with heavy equipment;

An additional stairway for high-rises that are more than 420 feet tall;

In lieu of the additional stairway, an option to provide enhanced elevators that can be used by the building occupants for emergency evacuation without waiting for assistance from emergency personnel;

A higher standard for fire resistance in high-rise buildings more than 420 feet tall;

More robust fire proofing for buildings more than 75 feet tall, which will be less likely to be dislodged by impacts or explosions;

Shafts enclosing elevators and exit stairways that have impact resistant walls;

Self-luminous exit pathway markings in all exit stairways that provide a lighted pathway when both the primary and secondary lighting fails; and

Radio coverage systems within the building to allow emergency personnel to better communicate within the building and with emergency staff outside the building supporting the response.

http://www.fireengineering.com/articles/2011/08/9-11-code-changes.html

These are international code changes.

See also:
http://www.nist.gov/el/wtc_100108.cfm

This building is taller than I originally had perceived. Is it topped out on the core yet?

Back