Re: The Point (Boylston/Brookline)

Possible early site/demo work?

AFE811D5-58EA-4041-B3CA-3C566954DC73_zpsiphhd81j.jpg

Hope the Fenway sign gets kept.

Possible early site/demo work?

AFE811D5-58EA-4041-B3CA-3C566954DC73_zpsiphhd81j.jpg

I walked by that a few days ago and the company was called [Something] Geosampling. They were boring a hole into the ground and collecting soil samples. Not sure why they were doing that though.. I'd guess it has to do with the engineering for the foundation.

Are they going to tear down the building that's there now?

7 more stories. Did anyone go to the meeting last night?

http://boston.curbed.com/archives/2015/01/fenway-point-boston.php

Notice of Project Change (warning, big). It doesn't provide height for the mechanicals, but based on the rest of the diagram (Fig. 2.3), I'd estimate about 370'.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/getattachment/7fdc9ff4-eab0-440a-9f5f-ee1b66625cbc

The renders didn't look terribly different (but the gradient does appear to be gone). This wind tunnel model is more interesting. Sorry about the size, but it allows you to see the inset better.

1z1vgo0.png

Last edited:

Significant decrease in retail due to 2 lobbies on Brookline, but they have retail between them. Streetscape shouldn't suffer much:

OrnmFin.png

Last edited:

tl;dr - They stretched the building up 7 stories and there are now 2 lobbies: condo and rental...

Here we go:

MHIFTLB.jpg

qfijzre.jpg

oQPYAlp.jpg

aCYocjA.jpg

9796Vyc.jpg

jeyrNau.jpg

tLQVJt8.jpg

7Sn5gKW.jpg

NQBDkVn.jpg

S4Oq51i.jpg

ad1v0Cr.jpg

1IUKnr8.jpg

rGMKdgi.jpg

trHxliE.jpg

R2srbJy.png

8otBiF3.png

hS5ICH0.jpg

ncmdkXz.jpg

eSHYbBO.jpg

Added height and units are both good things.
I don't see the decrease in retail as a bad thing based on how much is already being added to this area. At some point I assume it needs to be a reeled in a bit or risk oversaturation and empty storefronts.

I like it a lot! I'll miss the gradient effect from the original renderings but like how they maintained the effect with the spacing of the sections along both sides of the building.

Wow between 365'-370' by Fenway! By far the tallest building West of Mass Ave!

Beautiful. Here's a gateway worthy of being called that. And increased density! How often did that ever happen with Menino?

Are flatiron buildings just considered old fashioned or are they not cost-effective?

Nice! Boston is on a roll!

I'll miss the gradient effect, but the project still looks great, and the city's on a roll. I can't wait to see this start up.

very excited about this one because it would be the tallest in that area

Does "breaking ground" include demolition work? Or could they be referring to a formal groundbreaking, which presumably would be on open dirt?

Wow. 340 feet would make it:

• the tallest building in Massachusetts between the Christian Science Center and Springfield,
  • the first high-rise (300+ feet) in Fenway,
  • the tallest building in Fenway by 75 feet,
  • the tallest building in Massachusetts outside of Downtown, West End, Back Bay, and Springfield.

^^ how tall is Jamaicaway Tower?

^^ how tall is Jamaicaway Tower?

Officially, the Jamaicaway Tower is 320 feet, making it the only high-rise in Jamaica Plain.

Interestingly, the Boston Children's Hospital Lab Building is 314 feet, making it the only high-rise in LMA.

Fenway will now join the ranks of Boston neighborhoods with one true "high-rise." No wonder people say our city is not one big city, but rather a collection of small cities/towns, each with their own unique feeling. "The Point" emphasizes "Downtown Fenway" in a way, and I like that.

Back