Seaport Neighborhood - Infill and Discussion

Re: Innovation Dist. / South Boston Seaport

ADD can keep pushing the micro-apartment idea but I am very skeptical it will never be anything but an architect's dream on any significant scale.

Not sure what you mean by that. ADD Inc has done some fine work, including some of the most praised buildings on this forum - 319 A Street Rear and the new MassArt dorm.

Anyone on here knows that I love the MassArt tower and have defended it and ADD from the get go. I love 319A-R too.

It's just in their signature style. It was a cheeky sarcastic comment that didn't translate that well in text. ADD is the only firm right now that is actually using bold colors and they are doing a FANTASTIC job livening up our city.

I enjoy the comic book nature of the render

ADD can keep pushing the micro-apartment idea but I am very skeptical it will never be anything but an architect's dream on any significant scale.

It's not an dream, it's a rehashing of old SROs and prewar scale apartments. There's nothing innovative about them other than calling out the BRA's dumb policy of mandating minimum sizes for new dwelling units larger than a significant number of existing units within the city.

050-16_zps76069c0c.jpg

Park Lane Part II.

Was the design really so compelling that it needed to be resurrected 8 years later?

It's starting to look pretty slabulous!

Plattenbau-in-Berlin-Marzahn-a18024930.jpg

Mmmmm I love the smell of precast in the wee AM.

Nothing ages better than stark white precast panels.
(Checking ear pieces).
No, wait, I'm being told that's not true.

Word on the street is that the precast slabs being used on Slabzilla here are actually made from pulp from ground toilet paper and toilet-paper-roll cardboard.

Hey, it's possible.

So there's a justifiable reason this looks like shit?

Great Scott, I always thought the renderings were charmin'.

I saw that too should have taken a closer pix looked very dirty

Cheap (well, cheaper than normal) should not be a huge shock for this project given how many times and how drastically the size and use has changed. This project reeks of "let's just get this thing done as cheap as possible, minimize our exposure and get the hell out."

Word on the street is that the precast slabs being used on Slabzilla here are actually made from pulp from ground toilet paper and toilet-paper-roll cardboard.

Hey, it's possible.

LEED Platinum.

Photo backlog: 04/13 from the observation deck of Marriott's Custom House

376152_4759014773414_2013045717_n.jpg

Back