The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave @ Wentworth | 525 Huntington Ave | Fenway

Re: The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave (Wentworth)

9677920266_47d140c70a_b.jpg

Crane is up:

10413290043_4bf21fc5c4_b.jpg

There won't be any copper roofs, like its crazy brother next door, correct?

They changed the url of the webcam and made it so it won't refresh automatically without script (which can't be used on aB). The image below will update if you refresh this page or if you want to watch it live: http://www.wit.edu/webcam/apt525

Datadyne: If you edit your post and remove the old url it should get rid of the password when the page loads.

readImage.asp

579820_504631889550135_1129540859_n.jpg

Datadyne: If you edit your post and remove the old url it should get rid of the password when the page loads.

Fixed in OP. Thank you, Justin.

Steel's up to the second floor.

10702507033_98439dfcc4_b.jpg

And another biggie crane on the skyline.

10701852006_a50bdbcf4b_b.jpg

And now, here's another one today for this institute. Wentworth is certainly booming:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2013/11/12/wentworth-40m-huntington-ave-project.html

Nov 13, 2013, 11:54am EST
Wentworth moves forward with plans for a mixed-use development at 500 Huntington Avenue.

"Wentworth Institute of Technology is moving forward with plans to construct a $40 million mixed-use project at 500 Huntington Ave., at Ruggles Street.

This is the largest development project that Wentworth has undertaken, said Zorica Pantic, Wentworth's president......

.....Wentworth plans to construct two buildings on a three-acre parcel. One building will be six stories. The 78,4000-square-foot facility will house the Center for Innovation in Engineering and Technology and Wentworth's Center for Community and Learning Partnerships, as well as a welcome center, interdisciplinary learning labs, auditoriums, and more.

The second building will be 546,000 square feet and rise 18 stories. The building will have a six-story base, connecting on the fifth and sixth floors to Wentworth's Center for Innovation building, and feature a 12-story tower on top. Wentworth expects to attract commercial tenants to lease the space. A desirable tenant, for example, would be a life sciences or biotechnology company, Wahlstrom said. Up to 15,000 square feet of retail space will be also available......"

Great. This part of Huntington always struck me as ridiculously desolate, considering the proximity of Ruggles station.

Perhaps it's time to make a new thread for Wentworth's Innovation Center ... although that name is a wolf in sheep's clothing since that building is the much-smaller building of the two that will be built, the other being an 18-story OFFICE TOWER.

As several of you know, my paramour (?!) works at the MFA. I want to respect his privacy (and protect his job) plus I have very little to add to this, but I do know that there is definitely some grumbling at the Museum about this.

As obviously there would be.

I think there's very little that can be done to mitigate its effect on the Museum (which is basically just neighborhood aesthetics plus .... shadows?)

Here's a rendering from the BBJ:

I think they're hoping to let students design the building, if I'm interpreting right. So this render may be just a basic, with the real design as yet undrawn.

Also, I think the MFA will be grumbling for some time, especially if Northeastern builds its matching tower where the Bernstein/ Rubenstein building is now.

Doesn't NU have some rights over the field where this would be built? Or am I mixing up that with Wentworth having some rights on NU's campus?

And now, here's another one today for this institute. Wentworth is certainly booming:

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2013/11/12/wentworth-40m-huntington-ave-project.html

Nov 13, 2013, 11:54am EST
Wentworth moves forward with plans for a mixed-use development at 500 Huntington Avenue.

"Wentworth Institute of Technology is moving forward with plans to construct a $40 million mixed-use project at 500 Huntington Ave., at Ruggles Street.

This is the largest development project that Wentworth has undertaken, said Zorica Pantic, Wentworth's president......

I was surprised to read that a $40 million project would be Wentworth's largest development project ever. It's not:

Correction: An earlier version of this story misstated the total value of the Wentworth development. It is $350 million.

How will this affect the MFA at all? Do their galleries depend much on natural light? (I thought museums actually try to avoid that, since sunlight damages paintings.)

How will this affect the MFA at all? Do their galleries depend much on natural light? (I thought museums actually try to avoid that, since sunlight damages paintings.)

Few galleries at MFA permit natural light for the reason you suggest. I can only think of the glass sculpture gallery on the second floor oriented in a westerly direction, the British 18th century painting gallery on the first floor with heavy screens getting a bit of that same late afternoon light, and the southerly facing windows of the exhibition hall on the first floor (where "she who tells a story" currently is. If any shadow is cast, it would be evening shadow on the eastern side with maybe some on the small gift shop by the entrance.

The MFA is not an entitled island unto itself and will just have to learn how to play well with others.

Back