The Apartments at 525 Huntington Ave @ Wentworth | 525 Huntington Ave | Fenway

10975336413_9b13b6fda1_b.jpg

10975134934_f317af38b9_b.jpg

10974509334_c4889cb3d6_b.jpg

10974612365_ec80c1dd7b_b.jpg

10974524896_057b7a01ab_b.jpg

10973732523_bcc8beb8b1_b.jpg

10973435305_c11b94eb4f_b.jpg

From the webcam...this one's topped out and looking surprisingly tall.

pkd9.jpg

Is this six floors plus mechanicals? I thought it was only going to be five. It does seem to be pleasantly tall. The narrow end of the flatiron shape will look good.

Is this six floors plus mechanicals? I thought it was only going to be five. It does seem to be pleasantly tall. The narrow end of the flatiron shape will look good.

It is marketed as 7 stories.

Huntington Ave is one of my favorite streets to walk in Boston. Lots of pedestrians, attractive, distinctive with the tree-lined light rail tracks, the world famous MFA, the Northeastern buzz and, now, Wentworth making its presence felt. I'd like to see the American Planning Association make Huntington one of their top ten streets in 2014.

Huntington Ave is one of my favorite streets to walk in Boston. Lots of pedestrians, attractive, distinctive with the tree-lined light rail tracks, the world famous MFA, the Northeastern buzz and, now, Wentworth making its presence felt. I'd like to see the American Planning Association make Huntington one of their top ten streets in 2014.

I think some quality retail would need to be added to the mix to make this street really take off. As it's Avenue of the Arts, I think upscale music/record stores, galleries, an definitely a nice cafe (Pavement is too far from this area)is needed to move it out of its Panera-tanning salon-bad pizza groove.

Really? Huntington Ave? The retail mostly consists of Au Bon Pain and some pizza joints, spaced out among institutional deadspaces and greenspaces. And the sidewalks are tiny, with 4 lanes of traffic. You can really tell the city's priorities here: cars.

I always felt Huntington Ave to be a tremendously wasted opportunity.

Really? Huntington Ave? The retail mostly consists of Au Bon Pain and some pizza joints, spaced out among institutional deadspaces and greenspaces. And the sidewalks are tiny, with 4 lanes of traffic. You can really tell the city's priorities here: cars.

I always felt Huntington Ave to be a tremendously wasted opportunity.

What?

The elegant MFA with its wide sidewalks is:
a) sidewalks are tiny
b) institutional deadspaces
c) greenspaces
d) Au Bon Pain and some pizza joints
e) all of the above
f) none of the above

Oh I get it the Appeal to the Great Spirit on his bronze horse takes up space that could be used for a chichi sushi joint or another shoe store

Note that I do agree that the blocks from NEU to Symphony Hall on the Symphony side could use wider sidewalks -- but the only way do that is a crazy transit pitch -- bury the E line until Brigham Circle

Huntington Ave is a lot longer than just the MFA block...

Note that I do agree that the blocks from NEU to Symphony Hall on the Symphony side could use wider sidewalks -- but the only way do that is a crazy transit pitch -- bury the E line until Brigham Circle

Or put the street on a diet. No need to break out the multi-billion dollar plan when paint will do. (Not that I'd be opposed to it, if you happen to have a billion dollars burning a hole in your pocket).

But it's more than just Northeastern-Symphony. Most of the street has tiny sidewalks, pretty much, except for the portion by the MFA.

The Northeastern stretch should be improved in a few years with the redevelopment taking place under the new IMP. Cabot Center in particular is the worst offender, and it will be replaced.

Still, I think many portions of Huntington would require a number of improvements before I would consider it an ideal pedestrian experience.

It's also terrible for cyclists (as is apparent from the ghost bike in front of the Qdoba). There are several poor intersecitons for pedestrians too, such as at Parker/Forsythe and Huntington.

Food options are pretty bad in the area too, though it's gotten better in the last few years (there're regular food trucks on Opera Pl and Clover is not too far, they're building a Kung Fu tea next to Symphony, and so on).

Back