The Beverly (née Merano) (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

Re: The Merano (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

From my walk around the neighbourhood this evening:

Are these 2 separate buildings? Or will they just use different facades on the north and south halves of one long building? The render made it look like one building similar to the other landscrapers next to it.

This one is flying!

Charles Bulfinch is smiling!

I've walked by this site quite a few times now, and I am curious as to how they are ultimately going to treat this abutting wall. The adjacent building appears to have active/in-use windows (certainly not a party wall), yet the gap is awful tight. I am curious if they are going to leave a gap to provide a "light corridor" for those windows, with a view of cladding 2 ft. away...or whether they are going to seal the gap and decommission the windows. Another interesting note is that the older building on the left appears significantly out-of-plumb (I base this from my standing next to it, not from these photos; I don't think it's just an optical illusion), and I know we sometimes design the gap seam/seal to hide the out-of-plumbness, but if it's an open gap, not sure how that's going to work...

Any insider knowledge, tips, tricks, or guesses about this?

Last edited:

I've walked by this site quite a few times now, and I am curious as to how they are ultimately going to treat this abutting wall. The adjacent building appears to have active/in-use windows (certainly not a party wall), yet the gap is awful tight. I am curious if they are going to leave a gap to provide a "light corridor" for those windows, with a view of cladding 2 ft. away...or whether they are going to seal the gap and decommission the windows. Another interesting note is that the older building on the left appears significantly out-of-plumb (I base this from my standing next to it, not from these photos; I don't think it's just an optical illusion), and I know we sometimes design the gap seam/seal to hide the out-of-plumbness, but if it's an open gap, not sure how that's going to work...

Any insider knowledge, tips, tricks, or guesses about this?

I'm not sure if the windows on the adjacent buildings will be sealed/otherwise or not, but, for what it's worth, the new development is that close to the older buildings for only about 1/3 of its total length.

Thanks Beeline; yeah, that's the gap I was talking about. It's just an odd gap size, IMO; normally it's either clear there will be a party wall scheme with an elastomeric grommet installed, or, the gap is a left a bit wider so there's somewhat of a point of having windows there. I suppose it's wide enough for a sunlight corridor for those windows. Still, though, the aesthetic treatment of a gap this awkwardly sized in the streetwall is a puzzlement to me. One scheme I've seen is to have a metal grate/fence at street level and otherwise leave the gap open.

Beeline, did you happen to notice the brick building leaning, or am I just crazy (entirely possible)?

EDIT: I looked through the renders and there's always a tree conveniently obscuring this gap.

Why does this project keep popping up on the thread? Isn't it like 12 floors? Zzzz...zzz.....

Because its an extremely important building in bringing the west end back from the dead. This is a very important area to the city but it was demoed over and over for the central artery, new garden, big dig, and green line realignment. This area of the west end is just now being brought back to a streetscape consistent with the rest of downtown. Imo its even more important to the street wall than 1 dalton is because that building is tucked away with minimal ground floor impact and the area around it is already very built up. Obviously 1 dalton is a million times more impactful on the skyline, but this is one of the last few pieces to knit the west end together. Thats why people care about this project. Im not knocking 1 dalton im just saying height isnt everything of importance. 1 dalton will be more of a building you see in the distance, this will be something thousands of people will walk along side of and interact with every day. Not to mention this is affordable housing and 1 dalton is basically a gated community in the sky.

Why does this project keep popping up on the thread? Isn't it like 12 floors? Zzzz...zzz.....

Uhh... that's how aB works... We post pictures of buildings under construction when we get new pictures. Weird post.

If you can't grasp the importance of the Merano filling in a parcel that has been empty for like a decade with affordable housing & ground floor retail, then I'm sorry. Height has nothing to do with this project's importance.

Uhh... that's how aB works... We post pictures of buildings under construction when we get new pictures. Weird post.

+1. Also, this is a nearly half-million square foot building. Sure its a landscraper, but not exactly tiny in scope. And, as Stick so nicely conveyed, this is doing more to shape street level experience than half the projects being built in boston right now...that stretch of Beverly st. at the end of the central artery corridor, has been a total dead zone for years.

Beeline, did you happen to notice the brick building leaning, or am I just crazy (entirely possible)?

I have not noticed it leaning and I usely pick up on such things. I think it's more of an optical thing. You can put your crazy hat away for another day.

Back