The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

The main entrance foyer off of Causeway Street seems like a really obvious spot.

As an added feature, maybe they could tie it to the existing scoreboard systems in the arena and show time and scores in real time?

Right on. Or hang it 10 feet out over causeway st like a giant lantern.

Where in this picture will the Govt Ctr Garage towers be - in between the current clusters of towers?

You can see the crane for the residential tower just to the left of the JFK building.

^yup

23042906746_9f8f37c099_c.jpg

In my alternative fantasy Boston, that section over the highway portal is structured more like a real square. You know, with a big fat island in the middle, may be with some trees and a fountain, and some thoughtfully defined negative space inset in the new positive volume created by the new landscrapers ... (and including the nice little corner plaza defined by the lovejoy passage and bev st extension). Capped off by a prominent entrance to the Garden / NS holding down the adjacent corner of the new building, and with the vertical volume (and spire) oriented above that corner towards the square (rather than to simply being orthagonal to causeway st.)

Right now its a nice little pocket park, and the Tavern on the Square sidewalk eating is nice. Huge upgrade, obviously.

But it could have been a coherent defined/design space and its not.

It's actually fairly well maintained. "Blight" doesn't mean, "things I don't like".

It's actually fairly well maintained. "Blight" doesn't mean, "things I don't like".

It may not be "blight", but it is a massive, misplaced ugly scar on the face of the city.

So, I agree with the the spirit of odurandina's comment.

I'm guessing his comment was at least partially tongue in cheek given Boston's history of "urban renewal"? And the excuses given for demolishing neighborhoods full of "slums" and "blight"?

Got my aging ass outside and walked over to have a look at this for myself. IMO, it's one of the most significant projects going up in the city for many years. Romanticism aside, North Station/Boston Garden were really dumpy with a filthy El, dive bars and topless joints for surroundings. Never thought I would see such a transformation in my lifetime. Almost as dramatic as the demolition and resurgence of Washington St. and the combat zone.

Back