The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

dshoost88

Reaction score
Actually, I thought Arclight of all cinemas would survive because they could make a living on midnight screenings, classic films, and some lingering demand for nostalgic cinema experiences. The writing's on the wall for this whole industry, though. By 2023 no major release will be through anything but the studio's streaming service.
I think as long as exhibitors get a fair shot to make theatrical releases post-COVID, there will continue to be an appetite for going to the movie theater. Remember, everyone, it was literally only two summers ago when Avengers: Endgame became the fifth most popular theatrical release globally of all time. People crave the opportunity to have a shared experience that is not replicable in a VOD-only world. The recent theatrical release of Godzilla vs. Kong is a noteworthy example of that appetite: with a $358 million global box office tally (and counting), Variety reports the big-budget flick has actually made a profit!

I apologize sincerely if my mourning of the Arclight sounds off topic, but I'm willing to defend my point that future trends with the film industry and theatrical exhibition have very big impacts on our built environment and the way we can engage with it. Summer 2020 should've been a banner year for Arclight and the Hub on Causeway development. While programs like Shared Streets and al fresco dining were a huge win during the pandemic to reconnect people with walking around our cities, the loss of urban theater houses threaten to diminish that momentum and hurt the opportunity for people to induce demand to our cities in the first place. It's one thing if Amazon turns Revere Showcase Cinema De Lux off US-1 into another fulfillment center (which also sucks, BTW). If the exhibitors continue to close shop across our communities, we all lose. We lose the opportunity to collectively shout, "OMG!" when Captain America wields Mjolnir; to cheer when George knocks out Biff with a single punch to the face; to laugh when the bridesmaids experience the rapture in the bridal shop; to cry when the toys face imminent doom in the incinerator.

We shouldn't wait 3 or 4 years for an exhibitor to reopen the Arclight North Station. More than 50% of MA adults have received their first vaccine doses... we really should be 'back to work/normal' in 3 to 4 months.

markhb

Reaction score
Speaking of not being the banner year (sorry) it should have been, has the Hub Food Hall said anything recently?

Nibbles O’Plenty

Reaction score
What a damned shame! 😡 It was a great place! They built from scratch to create something beautiful…a great place to see a movie. Did not even have a six month run. The businesses in this city have been ravaged. Will take years to recover…if that is ever possible.

Last edited:

curcuas

Reaction score
Them closing could just be a step to bankruptcy and reopening as a new business doing the same thing?

Lrfox

Reaction score
Speaking of not being the banner year (sorry) it should have been, has the Hub Food Hall said anything recently?
Still "Coming Soon" on their website and on the doors. Instagram hasn't been updated in a year. It looks like most of the major work is done (as it should be, this was expected to open a while ago), and it's a matter of "when." The website has a "Now Hiring - All Positions!" banner for Hub Hall and Momosan which would be a good sign, but if you click it, there are no postings for either place (only Banners and misc. TD Garden jobs). I'm not sure which vendors are still committed at this point either - I follow a few on Instagram and none of them have indicated that anything is imminent (or even that they're still moving forward). I wouldn't guess we'll see anything until at least the summer months (mid-June), and potentially not until the basketball and hockey seasons start again in the fall.

jass

Reaction score
Alamo Drafthouse has a similar concept to Arclight from what I understand. I believe theyre in bankruptcy, but the reorg type, not the close forever type. Maybe an opportunity?

HenryAlan

Reaction score
The analogy I am drawing is that there still may be a strong market for the theater experience, even if not as large as previously.
I suspect we'll see a larger market for the theater experience post-pandemic, as people are desperate to spend more time outside of their homes. Going to a theater is a great way to scratch that itch.

Patrick Winn

Reaction score
What a damned shame! 😡 It was a great place! They built from scratch to create something beautiful…a great place to see a movie. Did not even have a six month run. The businesses in this city have been ravaged. Will take years to recover…if that is ever possible.
It was amazing.
^^ I can't wait until they finish the State Street tower so that it can pull my attention from the hideous Verizon building. Good god is it hideous from this angle.
I love the Verizon building. Its my favorite new building in the west end. Just wait until its lit up; the orange bump outs are going to look perfect behind TD garden. It's a real strong, sporty looking building thats perfect for its context. Just one man's opinion though.

AndrewOnTheMBTA

Reaction score
Above all, I think if situations around being open improve, the food hall plus occupied towers plus fully utilized entertainment will finally allow HoC to hit its peak. We've seen some liveliness of this pre-pandemic, but I'm excited for this at its full operation.

westend

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous to me that the jut-outs don't have balconies on the tops of each.

Patrick Winn

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous to me that the jut-outs don't have balconies on the tops of each.
Think of them as modern-day bastions. If Boston ever gets invaded by land from the north, you’re gonna wanna be in a bump out.