The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

I'll be interested to see if those of you decrying the marketing quips' purported careless treatment of displaced West Enders will in turn stump for community workforce training, 25% affordable units, shelters, day programs, and addiction services in the new spires that simply must be built...

If the idea is met with crickets, perhaps some introspection as to who's actually getting screwed could be on the menu?

^Well then tell us about your many wonderful accomplishments and we will follow your example. Tell us what it was like to be a poor city kid. Tell us how you made it all by yourself?

I'll be interested to see if those of you decrying the marketing quips' purported careless treatment of displaced West Enders will in turn stump for community workforce training, 25% affordable units, shelters, day programs, and addiction services in the new spires that simply must be built...

If the idea is met with crickets, perhaps some introspection as to who's actually getting screwed could be on the menu?
I have spent a career working in all of these areas, so yes. But that is not the subject matter of this board.

DZH22 -- you've got a great vantage point for the Verizon Building
I'm beginning to really enjoy it from "back side"

The Verizon Building is looking better now that the Cambridge Crossing (NorthPoint) buildings are going up. They are so mediocre that the Verizon Building actually looks good by comparison.
Charlie -- as the Verizon gets more and more finished -- I like it more and more
It has that Fractal-type façade -- a grid within a grid
there is enough variation provided by the cantilevered balcony boxes that the whole thing doesn't look too box-like
Finally there is the Red Checkmark -- only it should have been twice as large

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed that there is no permanent external elevator on one corner -- essentially where the construction elevator is located

there is enough variation provided by the cantilevered balcony boxes that the whole thing doesn't look too box-like

Eh, I still read the thing as a bunch of boxes thrown together.

A nice gateway tower statement - "Welcome to Boxton, home of the box"

At least we're not selling ourselves as something we're not, I suppose.

"Boxton" --- LOL

Stefal

Its all about Diversity

From each Entre to Boston by road, water or air -- we present a different style and mixture of icons:

From the south there will be South Station and Winthrop and back a bit Millennium​
From the Pike there will be a stepping upward from the Sneaker factory to Car Gurus, the Four Seasons, Pru [possibly another tower on the old parking garage] and then back a bit 200 Clarendon​
From MIT on the Charles there is the High Spine flowing into DTX and Beacon Hill and around to North Station​
From Logan there is the panorama from North Station to the South Boston Waterfront​
From I-93 over the bridge there is the North Station Towers and then further to the right the Tower replacing the formerly Basketball City parking garage and in the midst somewhere the Towers on the top of / in place of the Gov't Center Parking Garage​

The new Central Place in Sydney Australia is very un-boxy, and would have looked great at North Station. I like the base that was built along Causeway Street, but would have liked towers like these (instead of the two towers built plus the Avalon). Note: I horizontally flipped the image to better fit the positioning of the three towers at North Station.

50942870778_da29d50f56_o.jpg

The new Central Place in Sydney Australia is very un-boxy, and would have looked great at North Station. I like the base that was built along Causeway Street, but would have liked towers like these (instead of the two towers built plus the Avalon). Note: I horizontally flipped the image to better fit the positioning of the three towers at North Station.

50942870778_da29d50f56_o.jpg

Personally, I would've preferred a soaring Art Deco style at North Station. Art Deco is what made me as a child awestruck by North Station. The subliminal reaching for the heavens affects that the old North Station, Madison Hotel and Garden presented to the world was an optimism that was anathema to old Boston at the time.

1613414514748.png

1613414622851.png

Glass buildings, whether boxy or curved, certainly have their place in the varied buffet of interesting cities, but when they predominate, it just becomes boring. This would've been the perfect place for two towers with Chrylser Building type tops. And the new South Station Tower (originally a spire top) could have been a beautiful bookend situation. Instead, we'll be left with the same old Boston slab crew cuts.

The American architecture of the 1920's and 1930's used to exude an optimism of the future progressive world. Today, sadly, aims to a lower bar.

Last edited:
Charlie -- how do the Sydney towers in Central Place compare to the North Station development in Boston vis a vis footprint for the floors and total floor area?
It's not all about just how a building looks or even how it scales by one dimension -- today there are a lot of parameters involved in the spec
for example the recent filing by Related Beal in Kenmore Sq -- changing one of two office buildings under construction beneath the Citgo Sign into a lab and having to increase the non-rentable support spaces for air handling and materials delivery

Charlie -- how do the Sydney towers in Central Place compare to the North Station development in Boston vis a vis footprint for the floors and total floor area?
It's not all about just how a building looks or even how it scales by one dimension -- today there are a lot of parameters involved in the spec
for example the recent filing by Related Beal in Kenmore Sq -- changing one of two office buildings under construction beneath the Citgo Sign into a lab and having to increase the non-rentable support spaces for air handling and materials delivery
The towers in Sydney's Central Place are probably larger, but something along those lines, scaled back as needed, could have fit nicely at North Station. I was pointing more to the style rather than an exact replica.

Back