The Hub on Causeway (née TD Garden Towers) | 80 Causeway Street | West End

This picture by DZ shows every bulge, every out cropping, all the variations and varieties of glass styles, in all it’s crazy ass, badass glory which is why I freakin love the Verizon, as well as laugh at it's wackiness, all at the same time! It’s the only building in town that I am crazy torn in half about.
BABAD5E5-09A6-4959-9F7D-EC38D3124BBA.jpeg

This picture by DZ shows every bulge, every out cropping, all the variations and varieties of glass styles, in all it’s crazy ass, badass glory which is why I freakin love the Verizon, as well as laugh at it's wackiness, all at the same time! It’s the only building in town that I am crazy torn in half about. View attachment 14806
I like it!

Good to see signage up for the Hub Hall. Any word on a new operator for the former Arclight theater?

I think as long as exhibitors get a fair shot to make theatrical releases post-COVID, there will continue to be an appetite for going to the movie theater. Remember, everyone, it was literally only two summers ago when Avengers: Endgame became the fifth most popular theatrical release globally of all time. People crave the opportunity to have a shared experience that is not replicable in a VOD-only world. The recent theatrical release of Godzilla vs. Kong is a noteworthy example of that appetite: with a $358 million global box office tally (and counting), Variety reports the big-budget flick has actually made a profit!

I apologize sincerely if my mourning of the Arclight sounds off topic, but I'm willing to defend my point that future trends with the film industry and theatrical exhibition have very big impacts on our built environment and the way we can engage with it. Summer 2020 should've been a banner year for Arclight and the Hub on Causeway development. While programs like Shared Streets and al fresco dining were a huge win during the pandemic to reconnect people with walking around our cities, the loss of urban theater houses threaten to diminish that momentum and hurt the opportunity for people to induce demand to our cities in the first place. It's one thing if Amazon turns Revere Showcase Cinema De Lux off US-1 into another fulfillment center (which also sucks, BTW). If the exhibitors continue to close shop across our communities, we all lose. We lose the opportunity to collectively shout, "OMG!" when Captain America wields Mjolnir; to cheer when George knocks out Biff with a single punch to the face; to laugh when the bridesmaids experience the rapture in the bridal shop; to cry when the toys face imminent doom in the incinerator.

We shouldn't wait 3 or 4 years for an exhibitor to reopen the Arclight North Station. More than 50% of MA adults have received their first vaccine doses... we really should be 'back to work/normal' in 3 to 4 months.

^^This post aged well! 😎

ICYMI: ‘Black Widow’ sets pandemic record in hopeful sign for theaters

Deal hasn’t closed but:

I wonder if it means anything for the Hub location. I'm skeptical - it's so close to other AMC locations (particularly Boston Common and Assembly) and the commuter traffic out of N. Station that Arclight banked on hasn't come close to returning. But if they did reopen it, it'd be a great thing.

I wonder if they'll convert them into standard AMC theaters, or if they'll run them as a separate premium chain and leverage the amenities the buildings already have. (I also wonder if they might go for the Cinemagic theaters, since those are also sitting dark. )
Did Arclight really bank on commuter traffic? That seems like an odd bet for a theater unless there are lots of singles going on dates after work before they head home to Wilmington.

This picture by DZ shows every bulge, every out cropping, all the variations and varieties of glass styles, in all it’s crazy ass, badass glory which is why I freakin love the Verizon, as well as laugh at it's wackiness, all at the same time! It’s the only building in town that I am crazy torn in half about. View attachment 14806
I too am torn on this building. It is growing on me and part of me likes it, which I never would've said based on the renderings. I can handle the disconnection between the lower and upper parts and now I kinda like the outcroppings in the upper part and I definitely LOVE how the bottom came out- the street level interaction and the grand opening in the middle is awesome! It loses me with the big bulge in the middle and the top overhang where the Verizon logo is looks like a silly hat. There are so many disconnected parts that don't pull it all together enough to be cohesive for me.

I went up to the Bunker Hill Monument yesterday for the first time in years. I’m amazed at how imposing The Hub, Alcott, and Avalon are from this vantage point. The picture doesn’t really capture the feel of the buildings looming like they do. I’m still torn on whether this is a good thing or not, but I’m leaning towards “no.”

FCBFFA32-A35A-420A-93A1-7003DCF96DD4.jpeg

I went up to the Bunker Hill Monument yesterday for the first time in years. I’m amazed at how imposing The Hub, Alcott, and Avalon are from this vantage point. The picture doesn’t really capture the feel of the buildings looming like they do. I’m still torn on whether this is a good thing or not, but I’m leaning towards “no.”

View attachment 14856
Maybe a bit of variability in the height of the three buildings would have lessened the monolithic effect.

I love the juxtaposition.
its even more from the training field during the winter when the tress are bare.
'looming' people use as a negative, I think its a compliment.
It emphasizes the significance of having a historic neighborhood a quarter of a mile from the downtown of major metropolitan city. Beacon Hill is the same. Flat of the Hill in the foreground with Back Bay spine behind is an amazing view.

Back