The Kensington | 665 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Residences at Kensington

The core will be topping out next Tuesday.

2012-08-11%25252015.10.39.jpg

^ I love the raw urbanism of the street level here. Let's hope this and future developments don't wind up suffocating it.

^ I love the raw urbanism of the street level here. Let's hope this and future developments don't wind up suffocating it.

I think the old red brick buildings in the foreground are to become either a hotel or condos. I don't think they will be torn down, but they will be "cleaned" up.

I can certainly imagine the 1-story buildings in front coming down some day.

I was down at the Public Garden today when I saw the core peeking up over the trees. It's certainly more noticeable than I thought it would be.

photo_aug_25__2_26_51_pm.jpg

Great photo, Downburst! I didn't expect it to be this noticeable either.

Today's update to chew on over the long weekend:

^best pix yet of this site! some more from today >
61a482e7.jpg
c8fc0f40.jpg
8e8a0163.jpg
these r from Tuesday
3df7a880.jpg
4625d25c.jpg
dd3568b5.jpg
ea60520d.jpg

I know this building will ultimately be pretty boring but I'm still excited to see it rising.

I know this building will ultimately be pretty boring but I'm still excited to see it rising.

Same here.

And I'm thrilled that disgusting and let's face it - utterly creepy - vacant lot is now gone.

It's a great in-fill building and will be a good backdrop to the Jacob Wirth development across the street, if it gets built. This will fill in a lot of useless empty areas on portions of Tremont St. and Washington St. that are rather dead at night, especially, right on the edge of the theatre district.

That is one sad-looking tomato garden.

The Millennium Towers are incredibly banal. It's like someone took a high rise and drained it of all personality.

The rectangular granite blocks are probably the worst design element. They're already so dated it hurts.

The same goes for its equally dull and dated cousin The Intercontinental Hotel.

The Millennium Towers are incredibly banal. It's like someone took a high rise and drained it of all personality.

The rectangular granite blocks are probably the worst design element. They're already so dated it hurts.

The same goes for its equally dull and dated cousin The Intercontinental Hotel.

I like them. They extend the financial district skyline towards the Back Bay, and frame one end of DTX very well. I really like the way they look from a ways off, especially towards dusk when they often give off a bluish-green hue. It's also nice having a little more glass to distract from all the 70's brown boxes that seem to dominate the financial district.

I didn't really like the Intercontinental at first either, but I think it fits in much better now that Atlantic Wharf is beside it. (and I mean MUCH MUCH MUCH better, at least than it did before)

I'm looking forward to seeing this building continue to slowly close the skyline gap. I just wish we could get some things a little bit taller in the area, like a ~500' tower near the W.

My apologies for the terrible photo, but it looks like they're starting to put some cladding on this thing.

photo_sep_15__8_33_10_pm.jpg

It's probably a little hard to see, but I'm a little disappointed with the material right now. Dull grey, pockmarked concrete and silvery and/or tan Alucobond.
My expectations just took a bit of a dip.

Last edited:

Back