Winthrop Center | 115 Winthrop Square | Financial District

Re: Trans National Place (Winthrop Square) Part 2

that is definetly not the boston way to set a skyline

On the Signature Tower in in Nashville, Tennessee.
The Proposed Height is 1057 FT

The Federal Aviation Administration filed a notice on October 25, 2007 stating that the proposed design was too tall and would pose a hazard to aircraft. The agency recommended that the tower not exceed 433 ft (132 m), or less than half its proposed height. However, Giarratana has stated that no design changes are planned, and the Metro Nashville Airport Authority has lent its support to the construction project, saying they will look into ways to alter flight patterns.
link: http://www.webcitation.org/5T2uDofni
Why can't this happen in Boston?

Do you really think it's worth altering flight patterns for one building that will most likely never be built? Nashville can have their cheap faux art deco piece of crap but the last thing Boston or MassPort in this case needs to do is change the way Logan works simply for one building that as I said, will not get built.

From today's Metro:

Dear Mayor Menino,
Some of us were discussing the status of the proposed building dubbed ?Trans National Place.? We all agree it would be a great beacon of pride for the city of Boston. What is the status of this project? I recall it being scheduled to break ground in 2008, but have heard no announcement in recent months. Is there a way to track progress on city projects online?
Thanks Mr. Mayor,
Mark McShane
North End

Mark,
The city is still in negotiations with the Trans National team that is interested in redeveloping the Winthrop Square parking garage into an iconic tower. I am committed to getting the best deal for the city ? you may remember that I announced the proceeds from the sale will benefit the Boston Housing Authority so they can update many of their facilities. Until a final deal is reached, the city continues to receive the revenue from the parking garage. Once a deal is in place, Trans National will begin the formal development review process with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. This process will include numerous opportunities for public input. To track this project, and the many others that are under review with the BRA, visit their Web site at www.cityofboston.gov/bra and click on ?Development Projects.?

Do you really think it's worth altering flight patterns for one building that will most likely never be built? Nashville can have their cheap faux art deco piece of crap but the last thing Boston or MassPort in this case needs to do is change the way Logan works simply for one building that as I said, will not get built.

If Logan changed that one runway it wouldn't just be one building. It would lift the FAA restrictions on all of Bostons future downtown development. Which would include areas in South Boston, South Bay, etc.

I think you missed Shawn's point. He is saying why can't Logan alter the path so that projects of this magnitude can be built while cities like Nashville have no problem doing so. Also, that cheap faux art deco piece of crap you said looks better than practically any building Boston has right now. And what's wrong with the art deco design? What do you expect architects of these days to build art deco like they do in the past?

Also, that cheap faux art deco piece of crap you said looks better than practically any building Boston has right now.

well i guess we could argue over subjective tastes all day, but I could give you a list of at least 30 buildings in boston that i think "look better" than this, and certainly the AIA could give you at least that many in Boston that are of greater significance in their eyes.

^thing is, the signature tower may look all sleek and sexy now, but 5 years from now, its just gonna be another generic office building, thats it.

You look at buildings in boston, and, while they may be fugly, they are unique and they stay that way for a long time, take the prudential tower or 111 huntington for example.

Edit: although, 111 huntington isn't ugly. its drop dead gorgeous.

Well like I said earlier,the tower in Nashville has been cancled,got it straight from the people in Nashville when I was there last week! And I bet ours will be too!Philly however got one and now there's another one planned even taller,So if we just build one, maybe more will follow?But being Boston I don,t see anything going taller than what we already have!

^The best potential site for one now is at the Gov't Center Garage. It's far enough out of the path of any runways and wouldn't likely cast shadows on the Common. I doubt TNP will ever get off the ground, but I'm hopeful something will.

Tommy?s Tower plan may tank
Garage price stalls deal with city

The downtown site where the mayor envisions the city?s tallest structure will remain a parking garage for at least another year, casting doubts that ?Tommy?s Tower? will ever be built.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority and businessman Steve Belkin can?t agree on a fair price for the city-owned Winthrop Square property.

And now the city has extended its contract with the garage operator, Network Parking Co., and is fixing the crumbling facility with plans to add 140 spaces.

Pitching a 1,000-foot tower, Belkin was the only one to respond Mayor Thomas M. Menino?s request for an iconic building in the Financial District. That was two years ago and no plans have been filed.

?We continue to negotiate with the Belkin team,? said John Palmieri, director of the BRA. ?If we reach a point where we can?t come to a valuation then of course we?ll have to consider reissuing the RFP. But we?re not even there yet.?

To complicate matters, the Massachusetts Port Authority recently released guidelines limiting building heights in certain parts of the city. The 1,000-foot tower may need to be 700 feet, said Palmieri.

Menino critics blame the standstill on poor planning.

?This administration has no vision for planning in our city,? said Boston City Councilor Michael Flaherty. ?When you plan by speech, this is what happens.?

Belkin was unavailable for comment yesterday, but a spokeswoman told the Herald that he continues to work with the city.

Besides haggling with the mayor over the value of the parking garage, Belkin needs to secure financing for the tower - a tall order given few banks are issuing construction loans.

Developers across the city are trying to piece together what little debt remains and convince banks that their projects are still worth building.

?It would be highly unlikely to get a project like that off the ground and moving in the next two years,? said David Begelfer, CEO of the Massachusetts chapter of the National Association of Industrial and Office Properties.

http://bostonherald.com/business/ge...stalls_deal_with_city/srvc=home&position=also

It's not the terrible economy or credit market that sinks it but a quarrel with the developer? This was even more of a pipe dream than we thought.

?This administration has no vision for planning in our city,? said Boston City Councilor Michael Flaherty. ?When you plan by speech, this is what happens.?

I like this guy more and more.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

A 700' foot tower would look more in place downtown. A 1,000' footer, I think, would look better in the Back Bay between the Hancock and Prudential.

I will never understand why the press in Boston uses derogatory names like "Tommy's Tower" for projects most cities would bend over backwards to get built.

^Reasons for this attitude:
1. Boston is will continue to be a hot enough R.E. market due to it's character and geography;
2. Boston does not depend upon a single or a limited number of business entities; it's a market diversified among high-tech, education, health care, and banking;
3. The office of the mayor has entirely too much say as to what will be built, where it will be built, and what it will look like;
4. With due respect to differing opinions, this tower is simply too damned big for its location.

Ditto to GD4444 and PadreMike!

I would love to see another developer come in someday with a better proposal at 700 Feet.

that and I'd like to see a much better design than that Piano tall and slender box that looked like, with it's spire and pre-Belkin axing external elevator, a giant 1980s Cellphone

cell-phone-old.jpg

Trans_National_Place_1.jpg

With due respect to differing opinions, this tower is simply too damned big for its location.

The World Trade Center in Manhattan was even bigger in proportion to its environment. That's not to say that it's a good thing, I too would rather see a 700 footer instead.

Back