Avalon Exeter | 77 Exeter Street | Back Bay

Good filler building, not ugly, adds some glass to the boring back bay skyline, id say its a win.

11600353863_69057a9538_b.jpg

11600914946_aa8b0b0798_b.jpg

11600910846_1ba1fc59cf_b.jpg

^^^Yes!!! Green Pru!!! I was staring at it last night. Probably the best color, although I have been a fan of most of the new lighting on it. This is great filler as we await the larger towers to come. The Back Bay is going to have a heck of a skyline in a few years!

Red Pru > Green Pru

All Thanks to the technology developed by a local company -- Phillips Lighting [formerly Color Kinetics] located in Burlington on Rt-128

Hoping that this trend spreads to more tops of buildings -- particularly for Holidays

Really wish the blades near the roof extended up another 20 or 30 feet.

Is that lit up crown on the Pru permanent or just for NYE? That would great if they did what NYC did on the top of the Bank of America tower and had the changing lights on the spire going to midnight every night.

One from New Years Eve:

11770187505_af927967e6_b.jpg

Is that lit up crown on the Pru permanent or just for NYE? That would great if they did what NYC did on the top of the Bank of America tower and had the changing lights on the spire going to midnight every night.

December is special because the Shops at Prudential Center sponsors the 31 Nights of Light (different colored lights each night representing charities), but throughout the year the Pru is often lit in various colors.

There are many fine qualities in the design of this building. Two things that I appreciate: a) how the texture of the precast [unfortunately the aforementioned texture is invisible in this picture] complements the texture of the facade of Lenox; and b) the Lenox now has a friend on Exeter St.

315l82c.jpg

I really want to like this building, but I just can't for some reason. Something just feels off to me. The proportions of the facade are a bit wonky. The colossal order definitely plays into it. This building is simply afraid to show that it is tall, despite it standing right next to the Pru and 111 Huntington. I like the building much more at night when the floors are lit individually and the colossal order of the facade is less noticable. It looks so much taller.

The 2 short sides of this building are much more attractive than the broad sides.

The glass end gives up the colossal order and would be completely forgettable except for the bold vertical stripe. Its a strong contrast, but not uncomfortable to look at like the broadside.

On the other short side, the slender width combined with the tall windows give a smooshed-in and stretched-up look that draws the eye up until you reach the nicely proportioned setbacks near the top with forced perspective making the building look even taller. Art deco light?

See what I mean from this angle:
11674802065_a7b64642e4_b.jpg

Back