Bulfinch Crossing | Congress Street Garage | West End

Is it just me, or have all of the renders for this project (and I'm pretty sure I've seen all of them) obscured just how the remaining chunk of garage is/isn't going to exist amidst the other (new) structures. I've stared at these things a few times, and it's really hard to tell where the remaining garage actually is. Maybe someone savvier than I can point us toward a render or drawing where the remaining garage section is actually clearly depicted.

will the entire garage ultimately be demolished, or are parts being absorbed into the new construction? it seems it would be the former based on the above render

Part of it will remain completely reconfigured inside the two residential towers and the office building if you dig through the residential tower and office tower proposal you can see how they interact with the garage.

The remaining garage is nearly impossible to depict as it is entirely surrounded by buildings/ some areas of ornamental facade to hide it. At least thats what the renders have led me to believe.

I was under the impression that they could construct the apartment tower without any prior demolition. Is this wrong?
Im going there tomorrow I'll try to find out/maybe chat up our project manger ,U may be right :)

^I agree, City, I recall inferring that when I scanned the proposal a few months ago, but what I mean to say is that the 3D renders seem to show a gorgeous, seamless integration between garage and towers, including distinct facade wrappings that preserve individual tower identities. It just seems a bit optimistic (and, the cynic in me feels that graphical liberties were taken). I hadn't seen a render where a glimpse of the old hulk peaks out from beneath it's new wrappers. Do I hope this is how it will really turn out - absolutely! But I somehow feel that we're not seeing full truth just yet...

EDIT:
Also, the garage structure typically can't be used at all to support the tower, so we are used to seeing awkward cantileverings and distinct structural bridging, on these over-garage projects. That said, anything's possible and I am not an insider on this, so I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

For example:
1) Awkward (yet understandable)
2) Awkward (and also understandable)
3) Just weird (but, I suppose, understandable)

Last edited:
The only part I would expect to show at all based on renders would be the side that faces Bowker Street which is hard to see anyways. Otherwise I don't see why they would skip out on covering the Garage they are going to a lot of effort to get good design (Pelli/ a nice design on the residential tower) that I would be surprised if they gave up on the garage covering.

Based on renders that portion also requires the part of the garage to the East of and above Congress St. to be removed as the base wraps around the garage.

img_02_project_metrics.jpg

citylover -- For those of you who pine [or cement] for the old Congress Garage ;)

Fear-Not!! -- if you look closely the above master render shows the remnants of the garage

Heading north past the "Mid-Rise Residential" there is a "green roof" -- the facade that drops to Congress St. from that roof is the remaining end of the garage that currently crosses over Congress St.

Also, I realize that facade-wraping a garage is possible and I hope they go all-out on this project...

...But just for the sake of discussion, here's the most half-assed garage facade wrapping I've ever seen.

I truly mean no offense to any of you who may have worked on the One Broad. renovation, as there may have been budgetary limitations (or constraints unbeknownst). But this one is hard to understand.

The only part I would expect to show at all based on renders would be the side that faces Bowker Street which is hard to see anyways. Otherwise I don't see why they would skip out on covering the Garage they are going to a lot of effort to get good design (Pelli/ a nice design on the residential tower) that I would be surprised if they gave up on the garage covering.

Bingo. Ill have to dig at some point but thats exactly how it was described. Everything will be wrapped, condos, retail, tower lobbies...etc along the outside of the garage, and the only visible piece of the old garage will be the rear. Its laid out in the pdf's you just have to go look.

Which building?

The FAA has the residential tower having a height of 539 feet.

The office tower is still unclear. The roof before the crown is already above the residential buildings so it will likely be somewhere between 600 and 625 ft to the top of the crown.

^That would win the Kessel Run by my estimation.

However, this begs the question: Why the hell did Han Solo use a unit of distance as unit of speed? It was widely acknowledged in Star Wars that a parsec was 19 trillion miles.

BTW, I thought the portion of the garage where the residential tower was going was getting demolished? I guess I missed the boat.

i asked Tom at HYM the other day who ordered it.

He said the shooters don't even know.

The faster this garage can come down the better. Such a eyesore everytime I see it. Hopefully this project full built attracts a lot of attention and puts pressure on the city of Boston to rethink the value of city hall and the land surrounding.

This project being built with the city hall plaza being demolished and turned into a grid with development would be amazing. Plus they can save a piece of land to build a new city hall with the money they get from selling off the land.

Back