Lansdowne Station (née Yawkey Station) | Kenmore Square

This thing is monstrous and, far be it for me to be the negative one here, it sure seems as though it was government design & engineering at its best. Why couldn't you just walk up to it? Are there two rails there?

Yes, it's double-tracked and ready for high-frequency service. It'll have much better access to the surrounding streets when it's done.

This thing is monstrous and, far be it for me to be the negative one here, it sure seems as though it was government design & engineering at its best. Why couldn't you just walk up to it? Are there two rails there?

It's a very constrained location. And it's hard to put a high-level platform on a curve because the door won't line up correctly and there'll be a potentially dangerous platform gap to mangle your foot in. So that's why they couldn't do it as a single island platform with one egress or two conventional facing platforms, and had to do that very strangely configured oubound platform with the narrow parts. It's the only way to make the doors safely line up without a gap.

The towering headhouse is ripe for criticism. That definitely has a monument-building lard element to it. But there was pretty much only one way to build the platforms. They will not have to do that at Brighton/New Balance or when they rebuild the three Newton stops. Those can be self-contained center island platforms serving both tracks with much wider and roomier platform space and only one egress.

Yes, it's a 2-tracker. 2nd track was temporarily removed for construction digging. Once they take the wood scaffolding out between the 2 platforms the other track will go right back in. There's rumors that the T is getting ready to blitz installation of the second mainline track through Beacon Park to open simultaneous with the 2nd Yawkey track in Nov. Emphasis on rumor. There's been surveyors poking around out there for the last month or so and they poured what looked like a signal base for a reconfigured Beacon Park easterly interlocking, so something is afoot out there. Whether it happens this fall or not is an open question, but by next year they should have the Yawkey-Allston single track pinch solved for which'll open more schedule slots.

I would prefer to wait to judge the looks of the station until the Fenway Center has been built.

Yes, it's double-tracked and ready for high-frequency service. It'll have much better access to the surrounding streets when it's done.

Excellent. Hopefully, we'll have 25 kv 60 hz electrification within a decade or two.

Yeah, the new station was designed to fit under Fenway Center, and it'll work well there. Most of the bulk of the station will actually be hidden - everything below the platform roofs will be under walkways:

638px-Yawkey_construction_1_September_2013.JPG

(My image, 1 September. CC-BY-SA).

The angled roof is a funky shape to give the solar panels some nice rays. When the street-level walkways to Beacon and Brookline are in place, the station will effectively be underground with a 15-foot-high headhouse. Perfect.

Yeah, the new station was designed to fit under Fenway Center, and it'll work well there. Most of the bulk of the station will actually be hidden - everything below the platform roofs will be under walkways:

638px-Yawkey_construction_1_September_2013.JPG

(My image, 1 September. CC-BY-SA).

The angled roof is a funky shape to give the solar panels some nice rays. When the street-level walkways to Beacon and Brookline are in place, the station will effectively be underground with a 15-foot-high headhouse. Perfect.

Is there much literature floating around on what the panels are powering? That station's LED'd up to the hilt lighting-wise, so would be nice to get some published stats on how energy self-sufficient the station will be. There is jack nothing on that part of the Pike canyon blocking the rays at any time during the day, so it gets longer-duration exposure than most other sites in the city.

Last I heard it was claimed to be powered entirely by the solar panels. Lighting, train arrival signs, and presumably the elevators.

why are there stairs going to the platform roofs?

Pretty sure it's future-proofing for when the whole area is decked over for the Fenway Center. Those stairs will be at ground level when that happens.

I think the "stairs" you guys are talking about are just corrugated metal roofing over the actual stairs. They have railings right now for the same reason the main roof does: so the workers walking on it dont fall.

Nearing completion. The second track was restored in the last few days, though it will take more ballasting and tamping before it's ready for trains.

Back