Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

Yes. But that was before there were consolidations in department store ownership.

Even back then, weren't Macy's and Bloomingdale's under the same ownership, as they are today? They can and often do coexist in a single shopping district (e.g. Chestnut Hill)

Even back then, weren't Macy's and Bloomingdale's under the same ownership, as they are today? They can and often do coexist in a single shopping district (e.g. Chestnut Hill)

IIRC, Bloomies and Filenes were together under Federated. Jordan's was under Allied. Robert Campeau, who developed Lafayette Place, gained control over Federated, and led a hostile takeover of Allied. In taking over Allied, he had to divest some of his stores, so Filene's was sent off to the May Co. The Allied acquisition bankrupted Campreau and Federated, but after emerging from bankruptcy, Federated (without Campeau) acquired Macy's. Then, last decade, Federated/Macy's acquired the May Co. The Filene's brand was extinguished.

IIRC, Bloomies and Filenes were together under Federated. Jordan's was under Allied. Robert Campeau, who developed Lafayette Place, gained control over Federated, and led a hostile takeover of Allied. In taking over Allied, he had to divest some of his stores, so Filene's was sent off to the May Co. The Allied acquisition bankrupted Campreau and Federated, but after emerging from bankruptcy, Federated (without Campeau) acquired Macy's. Then, last decade, Federated/Macy's acquired the May Co. The Filene's brand was extinguished.

Stel -- someplace earlier in the thread I dug out and posted a capsule of the full complex history of the various department stores which had come together, split and then parts came together, split and finally came together

The last comming together that rejoined the two 20's / 30's era companies was more a merger of equals

Macy's was just a convenient well known name -- much as when the bank from Charlotte bought the bank from San Francisco the Carolinians decided to keep the Bank of America name

I think that Macy's closed recently. Now it's just Bloomingdale's in Chestnut Hill

Macy's was just a convenient well known name -- much as when the bank from Charlotte bought the bank from San Francisco the Carolinians decided to keep the Bank of America name

Yep, Band of America is better than First Union. Another example - Northwest Bank bought Wells Fargo and took on the small regional bank's name for the whole firm.

This afternoon...

359bmlx.jpg

Wow, never thought I'd see the day.

Also, why isn't this development opening up the abandoned T entrance? I brought this up in another thread but with all this development happening right along the Orange Line you'd think the city/MBTA would have some balls to ask a simple thing like a new entrance. Pathetic.

Wow, never thought I'd see the day.

Also, why isn't this development opening up the abandoned T entrance? I brought this up in another thread but with all this development happening right along the Orange Line you'd think the city/MBTA would have some balls to ask a simple thing like a new entrance. Pathetic.

IIRC, the architect asked the MBTA and they said no. It is quite possibly one of the worst development decisions ever.

Is it just me, or is the current trend in projects breaking ground, under construction, and passing thru approvals at break neck speed already exceeding what everyone referred to as a building boom in Boston back in the 2004-2007 time frame?

I know there is a longer list in that 3-4 year span, but if things go the way they have been.... this one looks to surpass it. And we are still in a down/slowly recovering economy. Is this good? Is Boston finally being proactive instead of reactive for a change? Do we have such high hopes and forsight? Or, is this just picking up the pieces from 2008?

Probably the wrong thread, but as Van alluded to, no one saw this lot actually moving forward, and then it did very suddenly. Strange doings are a transpiring around here.

^^^^
800Billion dollar stimilus are finally kicking in right before the elections for the Democrats.
Also the amount of money printed from the Federal Reserve and given to the banks at 0% interest has to go somewhere.

The only issue that I can't figure out is who will buy these overpriced condos? Maybe the developers have found ways either with labor or materials cost to keep the condo prices somewhat reasonable.
Overall the economy continues to expand as the United States takes on unlimited amounts of DEBT that can never be re-paid.

The question after that is How long will it take for the GOVT default on its outstanding debts?

The politicans need to create jobs at all costs at this point to keep getting elected. So they will continue to push whatever can be built for the most part as long as it fits their personal agenda.

Welcome to the New Economy.

Last edited:

The only issue that I can't figure out is who will buy these overpriced condos?

The recession disproportionately impacted low income, blue collar workers. They may not be getting the biggest bonuses, but most bankers/lawyers/other professionals are doing okay, relatively speaking. Boston also enjoys an economic base that wasn't as affected by the downturn than metros dependent on construction or manufacturing, for example. Plus there's pent-up demand from people looking to move to the city because it's now broadly trendy enough even for retirees to do so.

I know there is a longer list in that 3-4 year span, but if things go the way they have been.... this one looks to surpass it. And we are still in a down/slowly recovering economy. Is this good? Is Boston finally being proactive instead of reactive for a change? Do we have such high hopes and forsight? Or, is this just picking up the pieces from 2008?

I get the feeling that it's BECAUSE we're in a down economy that things are being pushed through approvals. Unions are much more vocal, politicians are more attuned to the job creation schtick and it seems as though the city is trying to exact fewer concessions and/or public amenities from developers. I agree Seamus - things do seem to be flying though.

The only issue that I can't figure out is who will buy these overpriced condos?

Most new development is rentals since that's where the market is.

That or new condos are for the top 1% who always have money.

^^^^
800Billion dollar stimilus are finally kicking in right before the elections for the Democrats.

This is true to a certain extent -- it takes some time for stimulus to work its way into other parts of the economy. But more importantly, Boston is not in a "Great Recession" the way much of the rest of the country is. Our unemployment rate is low, our foreclosure rate is low, and we have pent up demand because a lot of people upped their savings or retired debt for fear of things that ended up not happening. Boston is one of the few places in the country that has a true 21st century economy, and I would not at all be surprised to see that this sudden development surge is only the beginning of a larger trend.

In regard to this development, do we have a final rendering of this monstosity? First off, this building should be at least double in height, and have a much better street interaction. Oops on the developer and the BRA.

This is true to a certain extent -- it takes some time for stimulus to work its way into other parts of the economy. But more importantly, Boston is not in a "Great Recession" the way much of the rest of the country is. Our unemployment rate is low, our foreclosure rate is low, and we have pent up demand because a lot of people upped their savings or retired debt for fear of things that ended up not happening. Boston is one of the few places in the country that has a true 21st century economy, and I would not at all be surprised to see that this sudden development surge is only the beginning of a larger trend.

Henry -- BINGIII!!ooooooh!!!

So why do we have a "Gathering of Cranes"

Some places are recessing and others are progressing:
Boston is a winner this time arround -- perhaps to a large extent because the Global, National, Regioal, State and Greater Boston economy is transitioning to a Knowledge Based Economy. This transition is thus favoring the KE enterprises -- and just as the case of the transition to the Industrial Economy in the 19th Century where it happened here first -- so too are we leading the transition to the KE

While I was MIT in the 70's Economics satisfied the Humanities Distribution Requiremnt so I took 3 economics courses -- 2 of which were conducted in a large scale by Nobel Prize Winner Paul Samuelson -- author of then standard text on Economics -- based on applying math to what had then just been descriptive. A key feature of this mathemaical approach to economics which got Samuelson the Nobel Prize -- was that economics was like any other science -- it had laws and you could apply equations and models.

This however has been shown to be a falacious assumption -- as it is impossible to test economic theories by any means except the ensemble method commonly used by astronomers -- i.e. you can't run an experiment all you can do is observe and then try to partition the data by some explicit parameters such as class of star based on temperature

Well a key element of Samuelson's economic models was the Phillips Curve which traded inflation for unemployment (hyperbolic relationship). We learned all about this trade-off in his lectures. I have a fundamental distrust of theories, so I started to plot the data on the curve - Shazam ! it didn't fit as this was the beginning of the decade of stagflation. I showed my plots to Prof. Samuelson and he said -- probably some abberation associated with adjustments.

Each time afterwards when the new inflation and unemployment data came out I replotted the data and it kept deviating Prof Samuelson had a different explanation -- reality was he was missing some other parameter -- there in fact seemed to be a family of Phillips Curves -- with the optimum moving away from the origin -- something was different in the 1970's.

Fast-track to 2012 - and the "Recovery from the Great Recession"
There are in effect a "family of GR's" and associated recoveries depending on:
a) where you are
b) upon what sector your economic backbone is based -- thus North Dakota is near full employment as drilling in the Baaken formation is exploding

If you abstracted Greater Boston from Massachusetts -- there would certainly be a near normal ecoonomy comapared to Mass as a whole. Mass in turn is well ahead of New England and New England is ahead of the US as a whole.

Drill down further -- Take Kendall Square and iits immediate surroundings in Cambridge and you have to describe it as a BOOM comparable in intensity, if not the geographic extent of the DotCom / Telecom Bubble period of the mid 90's to early 2001.

Hence the Gathering of Cranes

The only questions - How persistent and how sensitive to the externals is the current boomlette?

Those questions will influence the evolution of the SPID as it is in its early stage of growth and hence more sensitive to interuption.

Last edited:

^^^^
Also the amount of money printed from the Federal Reserve and given to the banks at 0% interest has to go somewhere.
Overall the economy continues to expand as the United States takes on unlimited amounts of DEBT that can never be re-paid.

The question after that is How long will it take for the GOVT default on its outstanding debts?

The politicans need to create jobs at all costs at this point to keep getting elected. So they will continue to push whatever can be built for the most part as long as it fits their personal agenda.

Welcome to the New Economy.
You need to stop spending all your time sucking on Rush's tit. You are really wacked, completely ill informed and certainly not worth arguing with. Go back to fox news, you've said nothing new in years.

BostonObserver,

I do not watch the news and I have never listened to Rush in my life. But…… the one skill that I possess is knowing who in the room knows what they are talking about.
I hope you have other skills in life because and you’re not even relevant on this message board. Don’t take this personal. I guess everybody has an opinion right?

If you don't like what I write you can put me on the ignore button and it will take me off your personal Archboston page for good.

Back