Millennium (Hayward) Place | 580 Washington Street | Downtown

Re: Millennium Place III | Hayward Place

I love the Paramount.

True story: It was the Paramount that got me into architecture/urban planning/this site.

Shortly after starting my job downtown ~15 years ago I took a walk around the neighborhood. When I saw the Paramount I was shocked to see how run down it was and all I could think about was how cool it would be to fix it up and reopen a theather there.

So I started looking online for information about who owned it and if there were any plans and I found the SkyscraperGuy forum and the rest is history.

Stat -- 40 years ago when I first arrived at MIT -- you could take a walk-about quite a lot of Boston / Cambridge and find " how run down it was and all "

In fact most of the places both on the Hall of Fame and Hall of Shame - wouldn't have been there 40 years ago - they were mostly anonymous run-down old building, nasty old concrete city-owned parking garages, open parking or decaying wharfs. Meanwhile while the core of the city only had life in a few patches -- the Rt-128 Belt was booming and I-495, Rt-3, I-93 was starting to develop in spots and spurts

Today -- things have nearly inverted the built environment -- the suburban belts and tendrils are snoring or slowly awakening (with few exceptions) -- while the Bos/Cam/erville Core is smoldering and in some spots on fire with action and development

Wonder what a walk-about / drive about of the Greater Hub will look like in 40 more years -- core / periphery or a balanced blend?

The crane is begining to arrive.

Top o'the Mahn ta ya masta Crane

Cranes there arrival is the true Haaaaahbingah of Spring

Cranes Cranes ... Cranes..Cranes.. Wonderful Cranes Wonderful Cranes

sung to the tune of Spam of course

The crane is begining to arrive.
There are 13 cranes on the Bos/Camb skyline as of now,feels like the late 80's! I broke my camera the other day,useing a borrow Sony(see yesterdays pixs) need to buy a new one soon,can't miss out on all the action coming our way!

There are 13 cranes on the Bos/Camb skyline as of now,feels like the late 80's! I broke my camera the other day,useing a borrow Sony(see yesterdays pixs) need to buy a new one soon,can't miss out on all the action coming our way!

Bless you! Keep 'em coming, please, for us out-of towners!!!!!

no sign of the crane toay so back to the Paramont
088.jpg
087-1.jpg

here we go! :)
067-1.jpg
070.jpg
soon this view will be gone!
072-1.jpg

Crane is being constructed. I actually drove past pieces of it being driven into the city on 93 north yesterday. Had a hunch it might be going here.

7029970283_ed54e72a8b_b.jpg
[/url]

Looks like two crane shafts going up.

This afternoon:

7062178949_c98d948df4_b.jpg

6916099320_dab62e63a6_b.jpg

7062182807_1ca9fdc9e8_b.jpg

7062184277_31bc447b68_b.jpg

This afternoon:

7062184277_31bc447b68_b.jpg

I love how eclectic the buildings across the street from this is. We have the almost rococo ornamentation of the opera house and the mild art deco shapes of the Paramount as well as the strict modernism of the... whatever that building is (the ritz?). they all work well together though because they don't try to out do each other, they are just happy neighbors.

"they all work well together though because they don't try to out do each other, they are just happy neighbors."

In that case then in this photo:
ToC in the background is the ugly fat girl feeling left out.

^ooo.... much better analogy than I had.

^ooo.... much better analogy than I had.

I just like the fact that there's a hole with a couple of cranes ready to grace the downtown skyline

Based on the current timetables -- there should be cranes in the DTX for the next 3 or 4 years

Crane footings in place!

GaRrj.jpg

Crane footings in place!

Assuming that the consulting business stinks -- I feel a summer of strolling and phtotoging comming on

Cranes dancing in the warm summer breezes, towers begining to sprout to the left, the right, in-front, way off in the distance .. ...... WoW

I will never get you people's hard ons for cranes (though, wait...after employing that unfortunate word choice, maybe I do). I'm pretty bored until we start seeing glimpses of a finished product.

I will never get you people's hard ons for cranes (though, wait...after employing that unfortunate word choice, maybe I do). I'm pretty bored until we start seeing glimpses of a finished product.

I don't really get the crane fetish either, but I did take some crane shots in Berlin and Vienna specially for those people. Just have to figure out a place to put them.

Back