Seaport Square (Formerly McCourt Seaport Parcels)

Ugh, this picture illustrates how important filling in the small parcels on the Fort Point side of Seaport Blvd should be.

B and C I believe
What happens to the little "Our Lady of Good Voyage" chapel that is currently the northern diagonal-half of Parcel D? Some kind of land swap?

In "satellite view" is always a green triangle in a sea of parking lots, but if Thomson Pl/St and Stillings St "went through" it would be roughly bounded on the east and west by them (and on the south by Seaport and on the North by Northern.

Since the fishermen left, its been in want of a congregation. It seemed like if it held on long enough, it'd be sitting pretty.

There has always been a swap in the plans as part of Seaport Square to build a new chapel (maybe a bit larger?) I think towards the Barking Crab.

Our Lady should still have a home anyways.

Skanska signs contract for multi-family towers in Boston, USA, for USD 126 M, about SEK 820 M
MON, MAR 03, 2014 02:30 EST

Skanska has signed a contract for construction of multifamily towers in the Seaport District of Boston, MA, USA. The contract was awarded by Watermark Seaport, LLC, a joint venture partnership including Skanska USA Commercial Development and Twining Properties.The full contract amount of USD 126 M, about SEK 820 M, will be included in order bookings for Skanska USA Building for the first quarter of 2014.

Skanska will build the about 28,000 square-meter Watermark Seaport project, which features a 6-story building and a 17-story tower building, with a total of 346 rental units.

Construction has begun and substantial completion is expected in March 2016.

Skanska USA is one of the leading development and construction companies in the country, consisting of four business units: Skanska USA Building, which specializes in building construction; Skanska USA Civil, specialized in civil infrastructure; Skanska Infrastructure Development North America, which develops public-private partnerships; and Skanska USA Commercial Development, which develops commercial projects in select U.S. markets. Headquartered in New York, Skanska USA has more than 9,600 employees and its 2013 revenues were SEK 43.5 billion.

9b331b75dd1fc4e0_org.jpg

http://news.cision.com/skanska/r/sk...-usa--for-usd-126-m--about-sek-820-m,c9544869

Love the architecture and street level activation! Pretty sad though that overall, this looks like a rendering of LA due to the ridiculous boulevards.

"Skanska will build the about 28,000 square-meter Watermark Seaport project"

The world needs better editors. "roughly", "approximately" "just under/over". The rendering looks good, I guess, but sometimes the grammar nazi in me takes over all other perceptions.

Its like "thru" replacing "through" in things that are not fast food signs.

"Skanska will build the about 28,000 square-meter Watermark Seaport project"

The world needs better editors. "roughly", "approximately" "just under/over". The rendering looks good, I guess, but sometimes the grammar nazi in me takes over all other perceptions.

Its like "thru" replacing "through" in things that are not fast food signs.

Seeing as how the press release uses m^2 and Swedish Krona (SEK), I suspect this was Google Translated. Skanska is a Swedish company.

Seeing as how the press release uses m^2 and Swedish Krona (SEK), I suspect this was Google Translated. Skanska is a Swedish company.

Didn't catch the SEK.

On a humorous note, I default wrote "secks" just now...

Anyway, this looks great, as long as those beige panels are not YMCA quality.

I would like it if they took the median strip out of Seaport Blvd made extra wide sidewalks and a cycle track instead. They could also maybe plant some trees that grow. The median strip isn't wide enough for people to use like on Comm Ave, so it is just wasted space.

I'm sure drivers would be none too pleased, but-- to make the median more usable-- they could widen it out and take out a lane of traffic, or narrow the lanes by a couple feet.

There is no way to make the median wide enough to be useable given the total width of the street. They should get rid of it. You don't need to get rid of a travel lane. Two travel lanes in each direction isn't a lot when you have poeople making lefts and rights and if they bumped the curbs out at the intersections, it isn't a long distance to walk at street crossings.

Seaport Boulevard should either go full Commonwealth Ave, with a full park in the median, or get narrowed substantially. The concrete median just says "Do not cross. Here be monsters."

It could be a dedicated cycle track. a valuable use that gets them away from cars and peds.

I would like it if they took the median strip out of Seaport Blvd made extra wide sidewalks and a cycle track instead. They could also maybe plant some trees that grow. The median strip isn't wide enough for people to use like on Comm Ave, so it is just wasted space.

Going by this it looks like the median is staying.

SeaportStreetsSeaportBoulevardXsection.jpg

starting to look busy down there

I walked around the area this weekend with some out of town guests, and was astonished by how much was happening all at once. Interesting comment from one of my guests: "I really like what is happening here, it reminds me of the Battery in New York." I hadn't really considered that before, but I can see what he means, albeit a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of that part of Manhattan, but I can't argue that it doesn't work as an urban zone. And I can definitely see Fan Pier and Seaport Square coming together to be a fairly vibrant space. The other thing to note was that in spite of all the construction and it being a Saturday, there was a ton of people out and about. I'm feeling a bit better about the area now that it is starting to fill out more.

I walked around the area this weekend with some out of town guests, and was astonished by how much was happening all at once. Interesting comment from one of my guests: "I really like what is happening here, it reminds me of the Battery in New York." I hadn't really considered that before, but I can see what he means, albeit a bit shorter. I'm not a fan of that part of Manhattan, but I can't argue that it doesn't work as an urban zone. And I can definitely see Fan Pier and Seaport Square coming together to be a fairly vibrant space. The other thing to note was that in spite of all the construction and it being a Saturday, there was a ton of people out and about. I'm feeling a bit better about the area now that it is starting to fill out more.

I was at Harpoon St. Patrick's Day Festival on Saturday and it is amazing how many people that event drew, easily quite a few thousand. Apparently that is commonplace for the various HarpoonFests throughout the year. Harpoon's events are a major boon for the South Boston Waterfront as well the SL1/SL2, judging by my bus ride in.

Back