The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End

Re: The Victor

Now that some of the parking garage ramps are in you can see how much of the Haverhill St. side will be garage. I know there is not much love lost on this forum for the Canal St. Avenir, but any value-added from the patios of those apartments is now zero since the view is now a parking lot.

^Then you don't remember the artery.

You're right. The artery was better. At least you could cross under it. The ramp intersections are beyond hostile to pedestrians.

The majority of the space below the artery was inaccessible to pedestrians, blocked off for parking, storage, or a number of other "creative" uses. It was certainly not better, or less hostile.

The majority of the space below the artery was inaccessible to pedestrians, blocked off for parking, storage, or a number of other "creative" uses. It was certainly not better, or less hostile.

And smelled like hobos, garbage, and pee.

fa16e629.jpg

That building is saved. It is the building to its right, nearest the Zakim, that will be demo'd.

With an all-glass front facing the Zakim I wonder how bad the glare could be for drivers?

Some photos of the Victor's progress from last week. Also a pic of the pre-fab.

VictorSign.jpg

VictorMaterials01.jpg

VictorView.jpg

I didn't think of it 'till just seeing the above picture... but... why on Earth does this road have two lanes for a little-used one-way street? Even on full build... this is too much. The sidewalks could use some bumping out. Though, given the alleywayification with servicing, there won't be much foot traffic use either...

On a purely technical level, I think fire access reasons wouldn't allow for a one-lane, 12ish-foot-wide lane here. It is a public roadway after all, even if the developer(s) are trying their damndest to turn it into their own private service lane.

Last edited:

Is that a parking garage on the back of the building?

Its not really shown in that pic, but the entrance to the green/orange line is right there on the left, which periodically has people exiting/entering. Also, this is the path taken by many commuters (including myself - every day) who need to walk from the North Station area to points south. Its not as pleasant as walking down Canal St, but coming out of the East side of North Station, this is the most direct route towards the Aquarium/Waterfront area where I work. I almost never see any vehicular traffic in this spot - so two lanes does seem a bit odd. They should widen the sidewalks and tree-line those babies.

Last edited:

Is that a parking garage on the back of the building?

I believe it is parking that will be masked/covered. There is a section of the building on that same street where cars will enter/exit.

For a point of reference - the rendering in the first pic is viewed from Causeway. The photo is taken from the opposite direction.

Maybe, once the construction is finished, one of those lanes will become metered parking?

On a purely technical level, I think fire access reasons wouldn't allow for a one-lane, 12ish-foot-wide lane here. It is a public roadway after all, even if the developer(s) are trying their damndest to turn it into their own private service lane.

I guess we should be tearing down the North End to adhere to the fire code.

Back