The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End

Re: The Victor

I guess we should be tearing down the North End to adhere to the fire code.

Wider streets in new developments isn't mutually exclusive to maintaining narrow streets in developed neighborhoods.

The north end is a totally differen't story. Why make emergeny reponse jobs harder for them with new developments just because you think the sidewalk should be bigger?

The point was that we all look to and say the North End is a great neighborhood, but we can NEVER recreate it today as a result of these codes.

Why not look into why firefighting would be difficult in narrow streets rather than mandating that streets be wider? Creating a firefighting system that could work in such environments would allow us both to service the North End better in the even of fires AND allow us to build North End-like spaces. Other countries have firefighting tech adapted to narrow streets - why not here?

The point was that we all look to and say the North End is a great neighborhood, but we can NEVER recreate it today as a result of these codes.

Why not look into why firefighting would be difficult in narrow streets rather than mandating that streets be wider? Creating a firefighting system that could work in such environments would allow us both to service the North End better in the even of fires AND allow us to build North End-like spaces. Other countries have firefighting tech adapted to narrow streets - why not here?

Thats a whole other beast that I dont think anyones willing to fight.

Other countries have firefighting tech adapted to narrow streets - why not here?

Heavens, no. We must have one size fits all. Think of the uniqueness that you're proposing. The horrorrrrr.

Coming out of North Station this morning. You can see some of the materials being applied to the lower levels. I actually think the stree-twall next to the Merano(?) will be pretty decent, even with the Parking entrances. There is a change in elevation which adds something, rather than just being 10 floors straight down Haverhil st.

Victor1.jpg

victorstreetwall.jpg

These buildings remind me of a couple cruise ships pulled up to the dock.

Firefighting and narrow streets and small buildings are compatible; firefighting and narrow streets and tall buildings are not. Building codes were originally based on how far a hose stream could reach, or how high a ladder could be raised. Narrow streets and tall buildings make it difficult to position the apparatus and, if need be, fight an exterior attack. For example, in a fire in the North End, the fire department can readily access the roofs of adjacent buildings and fight the fire from there.

meridian_plaza.jpg

The Meridian Plaza, a modern Class A tower, burning in Philadelphia.

Where are all the tall buildings in the Bulfinch Triangle to which that analysis applies? You could hardly call what's going up there midrises.

Topping off was today, apparently. Tree on top.

Great pics. I love the filling in of the Triangle. Now if we can just get rid of that garage.....

Filling in the Triangle is a noble goal, Padre, but don't you think that the district named for Boston's greatest architect deserved better than the timid, forgettable rubbish they're building here?

Personally, Beton, I think the designs of these buildings are absolutely inspired.

...Inspired, that is, by this accidental landscraper:
fallen-13-story-shanghai-building-1.jpeg

(But hey, telephones and antibiotics were also invented by accident.)

Personally, Beton, I think the designs of these buildings are absolutely inspired.

...Inspired, that is, by this accidental landscraper:
fallen-13-story-shanghai-building-1.jpeg

(But hey, telephones and antibiotics were also invented by accident.)

That's Kuala Lumpur, isn't it?

The precast facade is truly awful. Two iPhone pics. The second is up close where you can see that the siding is ribbed (for her pleasure?) and speckled with black pebbles. It looks worse in person (if that's even possible).

^ Totally agree. I walk by there a lot and the siding looks like it would be put to better use as a rumble strip before a toll booth. Looks really, really cheap.

At full build, the Bulfinch Triangle will represent the single greatest lost opportunity in a generation. South Boston will look Parisian by comparison.

Back