The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End

Re: The Victor

While the building is uninspiring to say the least, the area will ultimately be determined by the quality and outcome of the north station project and its interaction with causeway street and the gov't center garage and its ability to connect the area with downtown.

...the building is uninspiring to say the least...

How many other projects warrant this astute assessment?

This is an all-to-common refrain in a city that supposedly prides itself on its built environment.

The stewards of that built environment are derelict in their duties. Someone needs to tell them so, in person (preferably in front of TV cameras), and at the ballot box.

Last edited:

Whoever compared the Victor and the Merano to two cruise ships: spot on. *golf clap*

I walked between the two buildings today and thought the same thing about cruise ships. One upside is that the street running between the two has Bromfield Street potential.

One upside is that the street running between the two has Bromfield Street potential.

Meaning that 30% of the storefronts are vacant and have been for well over a decade? I swear there are storefronts on Bromfield that have been vacant since I moved back to Boston after college in 1998.

today
520c1438.jpg
c6cc8fa7.jpg

Meaning that 30% of the storefronts are vacant and have been for well over a decade? I swear there are storefronts on Bromfield that have been vacant since I moved back to Boston after college in 1998.

617-357-5700 - a/k/a the Ron Druker hotline. Why lease up something and increase the building's value and they pay more broker's fees and taxes when your dad got it in a card game back in the 1950's for nothing? By no means is the card game theory a proven fact, just a story I heard back in the 1980's from someone who was in Boston real estate for decades at the time and has since passed. Vacant retail space keeps the building's value down versus the upper floor office space.

Also, I think 30% vacancy may be a tad high. Neighborhoods need small non-chain storefronts like this to work. Think the North End, Beacon Hill, the South End. Who needs a $70/NNN space for 4,000 SF when you need 1,250 to make your business work.

I just walked past there a short time ago. It looks like they are using the empty lot across the street (the future site of The Merano) as a makeshift staging area as they install the cladding on the building.

Wonder how this might affect the groundbreaking for The Merano. Reports and the developers Website indicated this would break ground in the fall.

Does anyone have plans for below the surface? I think it would be interesting to see how they are sandwiching the supports between the Highway tunnel and the subway station.

2012-10-05:

8059764296_809a70c729_b.jpg

8059763098_0fbdcc461e_b.jpg

8059762022_5b22137368_b.jpg

8059760772_14521ef2a5_b.jpg

8059759674_d4f8280cb6_b.jpg

8059758190_eb080b3cfe_b.jpg

8059757068_841e268e21_b.jpg

8059755232_3129d0de89_b.jpg

Later in the day...

8059753702_6eb32df8d6_b.jpg

8059753623_71bd9fa109_b.jpg

Another prefab facade that looks like it doesn't quite fit together. Joy.

The Seaport is Boston's Stumptropolis. The Bullfinch Triangle is its Landscraper District.

That aerial will look good once basketball city and td bank towers are there along with the merano.

If they could only do something about the Tip O'Neil building. What an all around disaster. Wish the Feds could do something about it and the JFK landscraper.

It needs to be perched on a hill above the 128 in Burlington where it belongs.

Back