Re: Mass Art Dormitory

today here and there
010-14.jpg
011-13.jpg
0655.jpg
076-3.jpg
078-4.jpg

I'm almost sure that this tower is taller than IV.

I was down there yesterday, and I must say this building really fills in the right side of huntington ave if you're coming in from the west. It fills in the space in the streetwall thats visible between the Charlesgate and WVH. I'm sure the GrandMarc will also be great filler between WVH and the Symphony towers too. I've never really noticed it before but Huntington Ave is pretty canyon like between Brigham Circle and Northeastern, the Longwood buildings really help reinforce that street wall. I just wish I could have gotten a picture.

The other great thing this building does is to balance out the intersection with Evans Way. It acts as a great counter to the MassArt behemoth at this intersection and provides a new urban feel to this square. Now that I've been there in person, I think it was a better choice to have the building follow the Vancoucer Street streetwall than Huntington ave, this way you have a triangular gathering space in front of the tower and somewhat of a public square at Evans Way.

Would this project have been allowed under State Law were the anti-shadows legislation to have passed? My assumption is no, as Mass Art must cast at least a sliver of a shadow on a corner of the Fens during winter.

I assume that totally nit-wit legislation has no chance of passing, but it's not just a matter of the Nieman Marcus / Copley Place Tower, the possible Boylston Street development next to the Hynes, the air rights proposals, and the Harbor Garage (Greenway is no longer part of the legislation but Christopher Columbus Park is). Huge swaths of the city would suddenly be off limits to sensible dense development.

Woopsy!

Universal Hub:

The Boston Fire Department reports contractors were doing roof work at a Mass. College of Art and Design building at 621 Huntington Ave. when the building's rubber roof caught on fire. The building was evacuated and Huntington Avenue was shut down; no injuries reported.

The department says investigators are still looking at the exact cause of the fire.

621 Huntington is Tower, not this construction site.

hahah i remember when workers replacing a rubber roof at my college set it on fire! apparently that happens more than one would think.

Workers were replacing the roof on a Northeastern dorm when the cornice collapsed onto Huntington Avenue a year ago.

WIT PD said:
This is being sent out to inform everyone that the crane located at the New Residence Hall construction site for MassArt will be removed this Saturday 5/7/11. The entire length of Vancouver St, that runs between the MassArt dorm and 610 Huntington Ave. will be closed from 7am to 8pm to facilitate this work. Boston Police and Wentworth Police details and Suffolk personnel will be on site to direct the pedestrian flow around the activities. In addition, traffic will be slow along Ward Street to accommodate the smaller cranes and trucks needed to dismantle the crane.

All you crane people, start mourning.

This thread doesn't have nearly enough pics and ill put some blame on myself cuz I could make a pitstop and at least get some phone pics

So they took down the crane; I got some shots of that. I figured they'd be interesting to see:

IMG_0075Stitch.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg

Amazing work. Looks like it will only take 1 year to construct this tower.

Amazing work. Looks like it will only take 1 year to construct this tower.

*KNOCK ON WOOD*

There is all the interior construction still so I'm sure it will take 18-24 months.

Scheduled opening is fall 2012.

061-12.jpg
<yesterday Is the roof slanted left to right?

Yes, it is slanted like Atlantic Wharf.

Back