Tree House Residence Hall Tower @ MassArt | 578 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

Re: Mass Art Dormitory

Oh, that's pretty cool! I think I might go and check that out now if I get the chance.

I'll keep updating you guys with pictures when anything cool happens.

Here's the Hayward Pl mockup. It's not going to look like this anymore (not much of a surprise in Boston anyway).

img7861up2.jpg

Also, I'm really not feeling the green stripes, but they are there in the renderings. =/

I kinda like the green stripe. very unexpected.

Fast grower

It was going up really fast during the fall semester and then it hit a lull with holiday break. Looks like they're back to reaching upward.

Holidays and also all that snow must have slowed it down. It is nice to see steele rise in Boston!

Ironworkers are probably the only union guys which never fuck around. Scheduling is a big deal with steel arriving from the fabricator, limited space on site to store materials, and an expensive crane lease.

After we endured the months of pile driving at 7:05 AM (last summer), it's pretty cool to sit back and watch it go up.

Yeah, students in the Rez would get pissed because the pile driver would start going off at 7:30 in the morning when everyone who doesn't have a morning class is still sleeping. Never bothered me because I'm at the other end of the Rez, but it was LOUD when you'd go outside. But still, I never got mad; they're just doing their job and I'm excited to see this thing go up.

And that thing was going up really fast last semester. Now they're getting back to it again; they just put on more I-beams yesterday for another two floors, so it's even taller now. I'll get more pictures. I got some of the truck with the iron:

IMG_6633.jpg

IMG_6888-1.jpg

Last edited:

I really dont understand why construction in this entire country always seems to operate from 7am to 3pm.

Why not 9am-5pm?

10am-6pm?

Noon-8pm?

I really dont understand why construction in this entire country always seems to operate from 7am to 3pm.

Why not 9am-5pm?

10am-6pm?

Noon-8pm?

I never understood why road work isn't done from 9PM to 5AM.

Expecting an angry rant against unions in 3..2..1..

Why not 9am-5pm?

10am-6pm?

Noon-8pm?

The timing has a lot to do with the delivery schedule of materials from suppliers. Trucks get a lot of construction materials to the site, then leave with debris or to return to the depot, before rush hour starts on both ends of the typical work day. There's also the issue of working around daylight and a few other back of house issues. It's also worth noting many construction sites operate 6 days a week.

I never understood the workday schedule, either. I hung (hanged?) insulation one summer in college. Adding to the pain and suffering of being in 90-degree heat and fully-dressed, I had to get up to be at work by quarter of 7. Yes, it was cooler in the morning, but I don't think that had anything to do with the logic.

i worked at a factory for a summer during college ( we made the color for plastic, not the plastic mind you, just the color), and i had the same early schedule.

Break the day up into 3 8 hour shifts with the most practical times for starting and ending shifts. (7-3, 3-11, 11-7) Compare to the shift schedules for quarries, cement plants, lumber mills, and iron works. Suddenly construction scheduling will make more sense to you.

Got a few more. Not sure what they're doing with the crane, but I'm guessing this means they won't be using it for a while.
IMG_7149.jpg

Steel studs:
IMG_7153.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

Back