Tree House Residence Hall Tower @ MassArt | 578 Huntington Avenue | Fenway

Re: Mass Art Dormitory

Hopefully it sparks a creative facade trend. If any of the beige Seaport commieboxes had facades like this, they could be (slightly) salvaged.

Isn't this similar to the siding on the carpenters' hall that nobody likes?

The colors are much more subtle than the renderings from the looks of it so far. Much better this way, IMO.

This building wants to know: do u party?

6041712474_543727dc3a_b.jpg

molly for sale here!

6041712916_8b2feb9603_b.jpg

But in all seriousness I'm surprised at how much I like it. I could see this being quite refreshing during the colder months.

6041713190_dde981a2e7_b.jpg

6041713560_007f5f05b8_b.jpg

6041165103_bc03a2a2fd_b.jpg

6041165481_edff9e3cb3_b.jpg

6041165869_5c6bfd7916_b.jpg

6041166333_4b12510cc3_b.jpg

6041166833_5dd3e737cf_b.jpg

6041716058_842944d435_b.jpg

6041167779_4af31d57dc_b.jpg

Last edited:

^ thanks 4 posting in all these threads! Looking forward to other's comments!

Those horizontal spaces really deaden the vertical design of the facade which is a real shame. If they had made the breaks more seamless then the overall effect would have been stronger.

who the hell gets paid American money to design stuff like this?

it's trying to be bold like MIT's Simmons Hall without pulling off the segementation or grand design.

Give these drafting muthafuckah's some peso's...

Last edited:

Those horizontal spaces really deaden the vertical design of the facade which is a real shame. If they had made the breaks more seamless then the overall effect would have been stronger.

I agree with your comment about the horizontal gaps. As I've been watching this go up, I've been noticing what effect it actually creates as it goes higher. The facade wants to be about verticality, but those gaps work against the effect.

Overall, I still love this facade and building. In the midst of the boring Perkins & Will Wentworth buildings (610 and 555) and the dated MassArt Tower, this tower makes such a bold, in-your-face statement.

The initial rendering has much more glass than they have here...if they had stuck to that original plan I think this wood (pun, lol) have turned out much better.

There's just...so...much...WOOD!

The initial rendering has much more glass than they have here...if they had stuck to that original plan I think this wood (pun, lol) have turned out much better.

There's just...so...much...WOOD!

You know this is not a wooden facade, right? It's Alucobond.

And yes, they axed a lot of the glazed corners, which is too bad.

You know this is not a wooden facade, right? It's Alucobond.

And yes, they axed a lot of the glazed corners, which is too bad.

Yea I know it's not really wood (though that would be hilarious if it was)...but that's the appearance it gives.

I like it. It sure is different.

Isn't this similar to the siding on the carpenters' hall that nobody likes?

Yeah, but what really ruins the Carpenter's Center is that the sides facing away from the highway are covered with generic silver / white Alucobond nonsense that's been done to death.

Architects / engineers have gone expansion joint crazy in recent years. Efforts to mask them are usually nonexistent, or just unsuccessful. Case in point.

Can't say I love it, but it is always nice to see someone get away with something different in this city. I always wonder how it was pulled off, but don't really care...

Back