Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

It is my understanding that a core will not be used on this project.

Concrete shear wall cores are really, really heavy. On a typical job this is not an issue, as foundations can be designed to accommodate the load. However, this tower is built on top of an existing parking garage with existing footings (that were designed with future expansion in mind).

A concrete shear wall would be too heavy for the existing footings -- and as the MBTA green line is so close by, altering the existing foundations would require navigating some serious bureaucracy. I'm assuming that the owner does not want to wait for MBTA approval and instead opted for a lighter (and likely more expensive) steel-framed structure that could be built without disturbing the existing foundations.

It is my understanding that a core will not be used on this project.

Concrete shear wall cores are really, really heavy. On a typical job this is not an issue, as foundations can be designed to accommodate the load. However, this tower is built on top of an existing parking garage with existing footings (that were designed with future expansion in mind).

A concrete shear wall would be too heavy for the existing footings -- and as the MBTA green line is so close by, altering the existing foundations would require navigating some serious bureaucracy. I'm assuming that the owner does not want to wait for MBTA approval and instead opted for a lighter (and likely more expensive) steel-framed structure that could be built without disturbing the existing foundations.
Smart thinking. Thanks for that perspective.

17255979569_9e9973fdb2_b.jpg

17442225995_8b5d71a2bd_b.jpg

KZ -- great [target at will] shots -- this one is going to be another skyline game changer

Imagine if all the towers proposed get built,from Government center to North station/Basketball tower and at the height approved,a whole new tall skyline on the North side fingers crossed!

Imagine if all the towers proposed get built,from Government center to North station/Basketball tower and at the height approved,a whole new tall skyline on the North side fingers crossed!

I predict the "New North Skyline" -- about when the Bruins and /or Celtics are ready for another playoff run -- 3 to 5

I'm sure the engineering all makes sense, but the structure on this looks like the ironworkers had a bunch of leftover steel from other projects and decided to build a wicked awesome fort. Hopefully, this will not be clad in pillows.

its been crazy watching it go up. now covered up, but toward the back of the structure, some of the horizontal beams had a slight but obvious bend in them - peaking in the middle. no idea what that was about..

The steel on this is really pretty out of this world.

17523072904_7e45e8f1ee_c.jpg

18144077715_75329d9b90_c.jpg

Its definitely over the parking garage and the elephant ramp - I don't believe its over the greenline or the storrow ramps, but I'm not sure. But either way, yeah check out this crazy ironwork:

17546572384_9d7168394f_h.jpg

17981442208_bf06619b1d_k.jpg

18165592802_9c4b793d3b_k.jpg

17549431423_8c6567dc57_k.jpg

Last edited:
Lol what the hell those beams are all over the place, and none of them are straight!

My theory? This is secretly going to be a world-class Frank Gehry monstrosity... they just had to submit a bogus proposal to get it past approval. Industrial performance art anyone??

Im assuming it is like this because it doesn't appear to have a concrete core and the lower levels are also parking.

Looks like Curly's work in "A Plumbing We Will Go".

Back