Avalon North Station | Nashua Street Residences | West End

It looks like the complicated steelwork for the above ground garage and decking over GL tunnel has completed. Does anyone else think it'll rise much faster now?

Sorry if this has been already answered - how come there's no concrete core for this one?

Sorry if this has been already answered - how come there's no concrete core for this one?

It's on top of an existing parking garage utilizing existing footings designed for a tower, but there doesn't need to be a concrete core in general. It's just a steel structure. No harm in that.

will the 38 floors start above the garage or are those levels included with the garage for the total number of floors?

will the 38 floors start above the garage or are those levels included with the garage for the total number of floors?

38 floors total, including the garage.

Edit: that is, "including the above ground garage floors". In the renders it looks like two floors of podium, 4 of garage, and 32 of residential.

Originally Posted by Smartiro

It's on top of an existing parking garage utilizing existing footings designed for a tower, but there doesn't need to be a concrete core in general. It's just a steel structure. No harm in that.

Thanks. I thought it's also used for fire escape staircase and such...

Thanks. I thought it's also used for fire escape staircase and such...

A couple pages back we discussed shear walls and the fact that egress staircases do not need to be located in concrete enclosures specifically. Staircases just need to be within a 2-hr rated enclosure, which can be accomplished with a gyp. assembly. In regard to handling shear (lateral force), all that steel bracing you see on this project handles it in lieu of solid reinforced concrete walls.

Here you can see steel bracing techniques (a + b-f) vs reinf. conc. shear walls (g):

fig9_3.jpg

Source

(b) X bracing
(c) K bracing
(d) inverted V bracing
(e) knee bracing
(f) rigid connections

Last edited:
I do love me some moment connections. Architects love that stuff.

cca

From 7/7

With MT crane in the background

Looks like a second crane is coming?

You don't see that every day... A tower crane base well above ground level.

is that tower crane base one of the reasons for the crazy steel structure?

is that tower crane base one of the reasons for the crazy steel structure?

Probably not, the crazy steel structure is due to the fact that it is built above a parking garage and not from a conventional foundation. Some of the steel may be for the crane base, but not all of that crazy stuff going on.

Second crane was up sans boom when I passed the site on my way to work. Couldn't snag a pic unfortunately.

Second crane was up sans boom when I passed the site on my way to work. Couldn't snag a pic unfortunately.

One of these days I'll actually buy a DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera... Here's my view from waay over at 255 State.

dsuLjUQl.jpg

Last edited:
In a few years this same shot will have some nice towers showing!

One of these days I'll actually buy a DSLR or mirrorless interchangeable lens camera... Here's my view from waay over at 255 State.

dsuLjUQ.jpg

WOW, look at how big those trees have grown in the North End Park! Amazing what an impact some shade trees and new development can do to help fully realize the neighborhood's potential.

Back