The Benjamin & VIA (née One Seaport Square) | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

Re: One Seaport Square | Parcels B-C@Seaport Sq. | Seaport

This site is huge:
19374952948_a6a8dce75d_c.jpg

Mmm. I walked by today.

2 questions:

I noticed that there is one type of concrete going down maybe 2 stories, then another type going down maybe 50-60 feet. At least I think it's concrete - it couldn't be granite or original "land" could it? (Yes, much of this area is landfill, right?) And how do they do that? The walls weren't put in after the hole was dug, I don't think. Do they do the walls by forcing concrete into holes that become the walls?

Also, earlier question from poster: Where do they put all that dirt after it's been excavated?

I also noticed that they are doing a pad foundation, is that because of this land being fill?

Mmm. I walked by today.

2 questions:

I noticed that there is one type of concrete going down maybe 2 stories, then another type going down maybe 50-60 feet. At least I think it's concrete - it couldn't be granite or original "land" could it? (Yes, much of this area is landfill, right?) And how do they do that? The walls weren't put in after the hole was dug, I don't think. Do they do the walls by forcing concrete into holes that become the walls?

Also, earlier question from poster: Where do they put all that dirt after it's been excavated?

I also noticed that they are doing a pad foundation, is that because of this land being fill?

Can't seem to find my pics from when they were excavating a few months back, but the concrete walls are slurry walls (see the Wikipedia page for a more lengthy description of the construction process). The appearance of multiple layers of concrete may owe more to the texture of the ground into which it was cast, but I assume someone more in touch with the trade can comment specifically as to what's going on here.

Also owing to the fact that this is built on landfill, I'd assume the pad foundation is intended to ensure a watertight seal at the bottom of the tub to prevent water from flooding up through the water table.

I presume that the spoil from excavation here would normally be processed for reuse as landfill in other projects across the region (road gradation, rail elevation, other development projects).

Whether the excavated soil can be re-used would depend on whether it is contaminated or not. This was once part of a rail yard.

1880 map, showing it is filled land.
boston_railroad_1880.jpg

Freight cars to the south of Northern Ave.
default.jpg

More of the railroad yards. (from Universal Hub)
trackscomm.jpg

I want to be in the dirt brokering business.

^Looks like the neighborhood won't be without a crane for long. Excellent.

As of this morning, it's fully erect... (the crane).

I happened to be going by Saturday when they were erecting it.

uDGKCQm.jpg

bM0fLI8.jpg

Dpl8chv.jpg

qjHyEha.jpg

C1oEnFy.png

bTmrbXu.png

man I luv the sight of a new crane on the skyline

And the dog is there, why?

man I luv the sight of a new crane on the skyline

I love the sight of the JM Courthouse's back side being covered up. Adios!

And the dog is there, why?

I've worked with a super, who brings his dog everywhere with him.
Meetings, jobsite trailer, needs dog friendly hotels when he's down here because he lives in NH.

I love the sight of the JM Courthouse's back side being covered up. Adios!

I totally agree, the courthouse is one of my most unfavorite buildings (the brick sides) but now that it will be surrounded by glass and steel on most sides, I am thinking that at the street level, the brick, along with the arched entrances, will make for an interesting (and welcomed) contrast to all the glass.

Pardon me if we did, but did we know about a new Kings location here?

I think we knew about it.

Also, since I've been worried about which renders represent the real project, I went looking at the Boston Global Investors project site and found these:

http://bginvestors.com/projects/one-seaport-square/

This one might be the one from p.2 of the thread.

15rfoes.jpg

This one's from Northern Avenue. Interesting, because I don't think there are any other renders of the project from that side.

ljr7l.jpg

Back