W Hotel | 100 Stuart St | Theater District

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: W Hotel

Of course it looks stumpy. It's Boston. Pretty sleek from the side though, although the contrasting facades kind of clash with each other and it doesn't quite look right. Between that and the big black strip on 45 Province, it looks like The Clarendon may end up being the winner out of Boston's 3 new 300 footers.

Yes, me, too. It's dimensions (along the broad side) are quite squat. If I recall correctly, it is about 225' wide on that side and about 300' tall. Mathematically (assuming my algebra is correct) that would be like the Hancock being almost 600' wide.

Take a picture from Charles Street at the intersection with Beacon Street. Looks fairly impressive from that vantage point.

I took that photo,Well kind of took it,It was thru the side view mirror, 2 weeks ago and it was impressive then!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.jpg

I think thats what this is anyway

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_6370.jpg

Is that from Somerville? Cambridge doesn't have a Target.

Yes, officially known as the much-maligned 'South Bay Center'.

Is there any hope of the South Bay Center ever being comlpetely destroyed?

^Don't some of even the most staunch, "density and mixed use" proponents on this forum support South Bay? If I remember correctly one of the arguments (which I agreed with) was that given the location, and what type of retail is located here, it's one place where this type of development is necessary (or at least, just acceptable). It's tough to bring your home depot purchases on the bus or subway.

South Bay could easily be designed in such a way that there you can park there without making it totally hostile towards pedestrians and bicyclists. A strip mall in the middle of the city like that is really an abomination. There is much more potential with a mixed use development and parking structures that are tucked away, instead of a giant parking lot.

1014toppingoff_500__1224016303_8810.jpg

Iron workers Shannon Cook of Abington and Matt Londergan of Hull (not pictured) topped off the 28-story W. Hotel in Boston's Theatre District today. Cook was the first woman in her local union's history to perform such a task.
(Bill Brett/Globe Staff)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back